Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Why are so many people still unaware that you can move files to your iPad via iTunes. And 3rd party apps can gain permission to use these files. GoodReader for example can read PDFs, .txt etc that are put onto the iPad via iTunes. If you're wondering, you go to the Apps tab and at the bottom is the File Sharing area.

It's on a per app basis though. I can't take a document out of GoodReader and open it in Pages to edit.

A centralized store for documents would be ideal, much like 'camera roll' for pictures.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Why are so many people still unaware that you can move files to your iPad via iTunes. And 3rd party apps can gain permission to use these files. GoodReader for example can read PDFs, .txt etc that are put onto the iPad via iTunes. If you're wondering, you go to the Apps tab and at the bottom is the File Sharing area.

1) The problem is iTunes. I don't want to tether my iPad to my computer if I just need certain files.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
First let's assume that we are capable of creating/modifying office documents (unfortunately it's going to be .doc, .xls, .pdf, .jpg, there's just no way around those files) on the iPad:

I perhaps work with upwards of 100-200 files a day, and not all at the same time. So you are saying I should sync like 50-100 times a day, just so I can work with my files and see the changes that I've made?

Now, my fear is that Pages/Numbers/Keynote modifies those files as they are imported so that they are "openable" on the iPad. Imagine a complicated word document with tables/footnotes/endnotes/equations.

I REALLY wish Apple can get it together. They have such an awesome platform right in front of them. I would really prefer NOT to buy a windows tablet because of my experiences with them in the past. I would prefer to have the iPad as a "laptop replacement". We may not be able to reach that goal 100% at v1, but I hope Apple make a solid step toward it at v1. Here's hoping Thursday's announcement would put my mind somewhat at ease..

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Having a dummied down operating system that is so limited, on such a grand device is totally disheartening. Honestly, it does in fact make Apple look like they just want something for you to plunk quarters into.

The iPad could have been a lot more "magical" with a magical webcam and a magically delicious version of OSX that isn't oh say.. minus a few gigabytes?
Or even at least Finder? The file system is there, jeeze. Give the masses the ability to access it, and oh wow they don't have to buy stuff from the app store.

No Finder, No multitasking out of the box, poor wifi issues and charging issues, no web cam, isn't as fingerprint resistant as people expected, small storage options.

It does in fact work the best for what it is intended for:
Light browsing.
Books.
Portfolio on the go (as a design student I can fully appreciate it).
Movies.
Some games.

Apple, wtf, you could have done so much better. They have *ix support for ARM processors in some distributions.. Apple could have chosen to implement a totally awesome netbook killing OSX tablet... but..

they didn't want to.

It's still cool though. I sort of want one. ahaha for couch browsing.
But when I want to get some serious work done, I will pick up my Macbook.

BMP84

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Dropbox is working for me

+1 for dropbox

I have been using dropbox & pages the last few days and I think it is a wonderful solution for the time being! And free! Just use it through safari for now, till a iPad version is released.

I wouldn't mind a app that allows the signing of model release .docs on the iPad. Would save some trees!!

But I too am waiting on a real file system for the iPad. But this does enough so far!

$o.o2

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Safari and movies look hella nice on that thing. For this I am jealous of you iPad owners : ). I just wouldn't spring for the 699$ one for the first gen.
I bet the next one will have an integrated 5mp webcam and an sd slot, and
maybe the headphone jack on the side.
I laughed when I heard it was on top.

Sonic 4 looked so fun on it! I watched the mine cart ride.. and that made me
want an ipad.
lol

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Having a dummied down operating system that is so limited, on such a grand device is totally disheartening. Honestly, it does in fact make Apple look like they just want something for you to plunk quarters into.

The iPad could have been a lot more "magical" with a magical webcam and a magically delicious version of OSX that isn't oh say.. minus a few gigabytes?
Or even at least Finder? The file system is there, jeeze. Give the masses the ability to access it, and oh wow they don't have to buy stuff from the app store.

No Finder, No multitasking out of the box, poor wifi issues and charging issues, no web cam, isn't as fingerprint resistant as people expected, small storage options.

It does in fact work the best for what it is intended for:
Light browsing.
Books.
Portfolio on the go (as a design student I can fully appreciate it).
Movies.
Some games.

Apple, wtf, you could have done so much better.

That's why I don't think the iPad should ever be called a tablet computer.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
That's why I don't think the iPad should ever be called a tablet computer.

Good point. It is an altogether different animal than a netbook or tablet computer. Apple is going in a good direction with the technology. I do hope future revisions implement some of the functionality that many of you all want. Hell.. if the thing has a Finder installed and an SD card slot, I would buy one. I could conduct business on it then. : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.