SOMA - Don't play it in the dark!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by apolloa, Oct 2, 2015.

1. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Got this for a song the other day on the Playstation Store, £25. Been looking forward to it, but man it's scary, the atmosphere is ridiculously good.
    I never played Amnesia but I know Frictional Games have a VERY good reputation for making great survival horror games.

Anyone else got SOMA yet?

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I will play it eventually, looks awesome. Too much backlog right now. I think I'm done buying games for the year.

3. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Oh no, Star Wars is yet to come :) and that looks amazing.

4. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Games I have recently bought and not yet started:

Dragon Age Inquisition
    The Witcher 3
    Thief
    Alien Isolation
    Batman Arkham Knight
    Until Dawn
    plus some PSN games...

That's not even counting PS3 games, and games I did start but haven't finished.

Yeah, I don't need to buy new games for a long time... :p

5. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Played through Alien Isolation, that's a pretty long game actually and good. Am playing Batman Arkham Knight, I've played Thief and that is alright I think too. Haven't got the other's you named.

I have tons of PSN games, well I basically grab the free ones so they are in my purchase history then delete them, but I do still have PixelJunk Shooter on my PS4 as I like that one.
    I also have Sniper Elite 3, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and Metal Gear Solid 5 to play through!

6. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Right, so after having a bash on Star Wars beta it's back to Soma, I watched a gameplay video and have gone from there, only watched how to do the first bit. The rest of the game so far is great, a bit messed up and disturbing in what's going on haha, so it's great.
    Been attacked by some wierd thing already and I didn't die, but I did lose a lot of energy it seems.
    Walking around underwater is really cool though.

The atmosphere the game creates is off the charts, they have done really well here, the graphics are good, certainly good enough to make the game work. Not the best I've seen so far but the game has some cool water effects and great lighting.

This is definitely one of those games to play in the dark on a huge screen with surround sound headphones on! Because you won't sleep for a few nights after if you do haha.

7. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

So I uploaded a video onto my channel, think I should put the videos onto my regular channel as I actually have subscribers for that, hmm anyway. This video is before I worked out that to beat the monster you just stay out of it's way and don't look at it, if it gets too close it can still get you, it looks like the so and so punches you rather then use an EMP!!

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Sadly, I wanted to love it as much as I loved Amnesia.

Now, that's not saying I didn't like it, and it may be that I had too high of expectations, but seriously, I wasn't really scared. There was nice tension, and I loved the ideas.

I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.