Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
On a 2011 MBA. All temperatures are CPU readings from iStat menus 3

Sitting idle (room temperature is approximately 19C): 38-43C
Surfing wifi with bluetooth on: 44-59C
Watching fullscreen 1280x720 video in VLC: ~61C
Encoding a DVD to 1gb mp4 file using Ripit and the MBA external Superdrive: 91C

I was a tad drunk when I recorded these numbers, so they may not be 100%. Entire case is cool to the touch save for the back left hinge area which is warmish, but not hot to the touch. Of course, fans are ramping up when encoding video, but that seems to be about the only time. SMC Fan Control not installed. Side by side with a 2009 MBP 17 it doesn't seem to run much hotter.

I'm entirely comfortable with these numbers and my usage habits. Just thought I'd throw them out there so people could look at them if they want.

cheers

Tom

[Dammit; wasn't wearing my glasses. Of course it was not a 2011 MBA :)]

Last edited:

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Seeing as it is a MBA from 2001, it is probably worth quite a bit, since it is probably a early prototype :p

While I wasn´t drunk when checking this, I wasn´t really taking notes when I checked last time, but I am getting ca. the same numbers as well, doing the same tasks.
Right now 47 ºC while surfing with wifi.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
On a 2001 MBA. All temperatures are CPU readings from iStat menus 3

Sitting idle (room temperature is approximately 19C): 38-43C
Surfing wifi with bluetooth on: 44-59C
Watching fullscreen 1280x720 video in VLC: ~61C
Encoding a DVD to 1gb mp4 file using Ripit and the MBA external Superdrive: 91C

I'm entirely comfortable with these numbers and my usage habits. Just thought I'd throw them out there so people could look at them if they want.

cheers

Tom
It seems weird that watching a 720p video is almost at the same temperature as surfing the web... Especially using the 320m and not the hd3000!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.