Some 3G Questions I need help with...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fusion Jones, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Fusion Jones macrumors newbie

OK, so I'm considering buying a 3G as my old phone (A RAZR from Telus) just bit the dust.
    So, I have some questions before I go ahead with this:
    1. Does it automatically switch between 3G and Wi-Fi if you're in a Wi-Fi hotspot? What if it's protected?
    2. What's the difference between 2G and EDGE (I've heard that you can switch to 2G but I know nothing about it)
    3. Does using GPS or the App Store cost money in 3G?
    4. How much would it cost without a Data Plan to surf about 30 pages a day in 3G (i.e. NFL/NHL.com, IGN.com, etc)
    5. How long is the battery life if you're not using it but it's still on?
    6. Is it possible to customize a Data Plan with Rogers and just get a little bit of Data (i.e. 500 MG's a month)?

I may have a few more if I remember them, but that'll be great if I can get some answers
    Thanks

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

1. yes. if there are new networks available, it will ask you which to join, where you then enter the password
    2. 2G = EDGE. you can turn off 3G to save battery, therefore using 2G/EDGE all the time
    3. no, as long as you are in your home country
    4. depends how much you are charged per megabyte, but a bit
    5. mine lasts a few days with some text messaging, games for a few minutes, ipod use. it depends on whether bluetooth, wifi and 3G are on
    6. no

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You got most of the answers, but I wanted to expand on the WiFi networks thing.

You can add "Favorite" networks, so that the iPhone will save the password and join it automatically. I have my home network and a friend's network set to connect automatically, so it will connect seamlessly when I'm at either place. If I'm out and about and it detects a network, it will ask if I want to join. You can set as many favorites as you like.

HTH

4. Fusion Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, I appreciate it!

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

wrong on number 6.
    the link to Rogers plans is here. You can get different data plans but the $30/month plan for 6GB is the best deal.

PS Just browsing a few pages a day without a plan will be quite expensive in Canada.

6. profetto macrumors regular

Just to expand on the data situation.

Rogers plans for data are absolutely retarded. You're best bet is the $30/month for 6 gigs, its overkill but its the promo right now.

Normally for 500 megs it'll cost you $50 at Rogers, so I'd say go with the promo.

Here's some other data plans Rogers has: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-plans/iphone_adpacks

Now, if you choose not to go with a data plan, Rogers charged $0.05/KB. It's absolutely insane, that means if you use 1 meg you'll be charged $50!!!

Go with a data plan if you plan on using data.

7. Fusion Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Holy smokes that's terrible!
    How many KB's is it to load a page?
    And do things like Stocks and Mail count towards your data plan, or is it just when you're loading web pages, or downloading attachments?
    Thanks for the help folks

8. MV ROB macrumors member