some adobe flash videos not working on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by velocirpator, Dec 20, 2011.

1. velocirpator macrumors newbie

Some videos not working on my MBP. This video for example:

http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2011/12/19/rooney-mara-girl-crush/

will not run on my mid-2010 MBP. I see the swirl indicating it is loading, but then just sits there with black blank screen. This happens on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

Adobe flash player is latest. Divx, Flip4Mac and Perian are all latest. Chrome, which contains the adobe flash player embedded, is the latest version.

I click on video in Chrome and get adobe flash settings - disabled hardware acceleration and set storage to 10MB. Same result.

Very irritating. Any other ideas?

Thx....

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. velocirpator thread starter macrumors newbie

GGJstudios,

No on the blockers. Keep in mind that the majority of videos work. But some just do not. I included the url of one that did not so that maybe someone can see something different or non-standard about it.

Does that video work on your Mac OS X machine?

thx....

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, worked fine in Safari, even with my ad-blockers.

5. velocirpator thread starter macrumors newbie

So it displays fine on your machine. Drat! This is really irritating me.

One other thing, I have Sophos anti-virus installed and running. I just disabled on-access scanning on it, and tried that video again, with the same result. Just black screen nothing.

Any other ideas? No matter how far fetched.... ?

6. velocirpator thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing, I have still not gotten around to upgrading to Lion (long story). I am going to do that in the next couple of days. Will post if that makes a difference.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here... and here.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Works here with OS X 10.6.8, Mozilla 9.0.1 (with Adblock Plus 2.0.1) and Safari 5.1.2 (AdBlock 2.4.28) and Google Chrome 16.0.912.63 (no ad blocking). Flash Player is 11,1,102,55.

9. velocirpator thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed!!!

Sending the directory ~/Library/Preferences/MacroMedia to the trash and letting it get re-initialized from default fixed this for me. Apparently something was corrupted in there. Note that all browsers store their macromedia flash settings in that directory. Now all my videos are working!