Some advice before I purchase this please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solid0mike, Mar 13, 2010.

  1. solid0mike macrumors newbie

    Mar 13, 2010
    Okay, I've been waiting to buy a new Macbook being that my old G4 is just not up to par anymore. I could afford the current Macs right now, but like everyone else I've been waiting for the refresh and can't wait any longer :( due to needing a new laptop right now.

    There is a post in my local Craigslist that announces the following:

    2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    160GB GB Hard Drive 13.3 inch TFT Widescreen Display : 1280 x 800
    Intel GMA graphics Processor with shared 384MB of DDR2
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Front Row
    Firewire 400 x 1
    USB 2.0 x 2
    Optical Digital input / Audio line in, optical digital audio output / headphone out, built-in stereo speakers
    Mini-DVI port for DVI, VGA, composite and S-Video
    Built-in 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet
    Built-in Airport Extreme (includes 802.11n!)
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR ( enhanced data rate )
    Includes: Apple Front Row Remote, Box and original packaging, restore disks, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, etc.

    All for 775$. It's a black Macbook.

    My plan is to buy it, use it for the time being and then resell it as soon as the new Macs come out and buy the Refresh Macs. Catch my drift? :)

    Now, I will be doing the following with the laptop.

    Adobe CS4: Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop.
    MS Office
    Internet, videos, itunes, pictures, etc
    Java programming via Bootcamp with Windows 7.

    So will this black Macbook work for me well given these specs? Or should I just stick to using my home PC and wait for the new refresh?

    Thanks in Advance :)
  2. AWeber3030 macrumors newbie


    Jun 23, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I would say that if you plan on using the machine for the Adobe CS4 Suite, I would suggest waiting until the next refresh comes out. Since those applications tend to use a lot of memory and that Intel GMA graphics processor is going to get run down pretty quick trying to keep up. So if you can hold out, hold out, if you can. Since you are just going to be getting rid of it anyways when the new Macs come out. Hope this helps you out.
  3. R.Perez macrumors 6502


    Feb 16, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
  4. solid0mike thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 13, 2010
    Lets put it this way,

    is that Mac worth 775$ ?
  5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

    May 8, 2007
  6. solid0mike thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 13, 2010
    yeah, makes sense. A newer mac can be bought for about 200 dollars more.

    And yeah, its gotta be a mac. I have a PC at home so yeah. Thanks though, that looks like an awesome deal.
  7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502


    Sep 19, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    As long as you don't use to much 3D in Photoshop, that MacBook runs CS4 pretty well for its age. :)
  8. solid0mike thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 13, 2010
    Yeah but its over priced... no?
  9. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502


    Sep 19, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Yes, it seems over priced. But its a BlackBook, so for some it has a special place in their hearts. :D

    I agree with the others though, better get a new one for ~$200 more - whenever they will be released.
  10. solid0mike thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 13, 2010
    Thanks guy! :)

    I decided to wait. Its prominent that the new macbook pro's will come out soon so I shall wait.

    I do however want it because it's a black macbook but if I buy it, I wont have enough money to buy a Pro when the news ones roll in.
  11. Tomorrow macrumors 604


    Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    Not worth my $775. Like others have said, you could spend an extra $200 on a new one and get much more than $200 in additional performance, IMO.

    Refurbs are also a pretty good deal, although I don't know what a refurb MB goes for these days.
  12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
    that is overpriced if you have a microcenter near you. They still have the new unibody macbook for $799
  13. Batt macrumors 65816


    Dec 17, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    For an additional 75 bucks ($849) the refurb store has a current generation MacBook in stock.
  14. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a


    Jul 15, 2009
    That's what I would go with. The machine OP mentions is worth $600-650 tops.

Share This Page