Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freeway29

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Hi all just need to know got a 20 inch imac 2008 model and its got intel dual core 2 and need to know can i upgrade it to a quad core thanks.

Mohammed1

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
Hi all just need to know got a 20 inch imac 2008 model and its got intel dual core 2 and need to know can i upgrade it to a quad core thanks.

Here this should help:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-how-to-upgrade-processors.html

If you need more help just ask.

Nov 28, 2010
located
While that iMac uses a socketed CPU, there are no quad core desktop CPUs compatible with that.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

The OP asks about an iMac, not a Mac Pro.

freeway29

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Ok thanks to all that have replied, i guess my next option is then to look for a imac 2010 or 2011 model quad core with the super drive still in if you know where i can get one from let me know thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok thanks to all that have replied, i guess my next option is then to look for a imac 2010 or 2011 model quad core with the super drive still in if you know where i can get one from let me know thanks.

You can get a refurb. 2012 quad core iMac from Apple here then just add a USB Superdrive. That would give you what you want with a full warranty just like a new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.