Some advice [can I upgrade iMac to a quad core?]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freeway29, Apr 18, 2014.

1. freeway29 macrumors member

Hi all just need to know got a 20 inch imac 2008 model and its got intel dual core 2 and need to know can i upgrade it to a quad core thanks.

2. Mohammed1 macrumors newbie

Here this should help:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/faq/mac-pro-how-to-upgrade-processors.html

If you need more help just ask.

3. simsaladimbamba

While that iMac uses a socketed CPU, there are no quad core desktop CPUs compatible with that.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

The OP asks about an iMac, not a Mac Pro.

4. freeway29 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks to all that have replied, i guess my next option is then to look for a imac 2010 or 2011 model quad core with the super drive still in if you know where i can get one from let me know thanks.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can get a refurb. 2012 quad core iMac from Apple here then just add a USB Superdrive. That would give you what you want with a full warranty just like a new machine.