some advice for an ancient machine

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lil' brudder, Jun 4, 2007.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Alright, so I've got this Performa 6220CD running Mac OS 7.5.1. I am trying to get it connected to the internet via dialup. It has an internal 14.4k modem which does connect, but I have an external 56K modem that worked with an older 6--- Performa. The software is designed to use the modem or printer port on the computer, but, there is no modem port, and the computer doesn't recognize it via the printer port. So here is where my question lies: how do I get this V.90 UsRobotics 56k modem to interface with the computer? I realize how old this machine is, and this is more for the heck of it than any serious reason. By the way, I have PPP and OpenTransport 1.1.1 installed.

Thanks!

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Have you considered tossing the modem and buying an ethernet card?

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd ask.

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

lil'brudder - probably your best bet would be to contact the technical support archives at the SMITHSONIAN :D :D :D :D :D

(Sorry - could not resist)

4. epiphany macrumors regular

scripts, drivers?

Well, it's been a long while since I've used a 680xx computer with an external modem, but weren't there scripts and a driver that needed to be installed for the externals? Is OT active? AppleTalk?

This will hopefully help. I remember using FreePPP myself (in the tutorial link): http://www.macfaq.org/software/internet.shtml#Q1.2.1

You might ask here: http://68kmla.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=abfb592374d0815738d8e731185a8ab3

or maybe Tyler Sable can help. http://www.lowendmac.com/sable/

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Don't you mean "System" 7.5.1? ;) Anyway, I used to have the same computer! I think you can go up to Mac OS 9.x, which I'd definitely do if you have a copy lying around or can find one real cheap. But... it's been so long since I've used 7.5, I probably can't be of any help on the software side of things. I guess you should be seeing the modem available in the Chooser or something? I think it should be possible to get it to work over the Printer port, just requires some finagling with the settings.

I'm guessing (again, very long time ago for me) there's no modem port because of the internal modem. Pretty sure that on mine there was no internal modem, and it did have a modem port. But, maybe not, I could be totally wrong...

I don't know if it's even possible to add a standard ethernet port, I think the only expansion available was some older RJ-something....??? Anyway, ethernet would be pointless for getting the 56k modem connected, unless the OP has existing high speed internet or a router or something to connect to (or am I wrong? Did those external modems have ethernet ports?).

Actually it's a PPC, 603 or 603e.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You may be able to get more help with system 7 on the forums on this site, it is run by a MacRumors member.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You might get some help/advice from the Vintage Macs users group...

8. epiphany macrumors regular

Ah yes

The Chooser - apfhex, thanks for the reminder. That's where I would think the Mac would see it...

Actually, it seems from this article http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml that you must remove the internal modem board and de-plug the modem port in order for your Performa to 'see' the external modem. Interesting...

9. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

"The Chooser - apfhex, thanks for the reminder. That's where I would think the Mac would see it...

Actually, it seems from this article http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml that you must remove the internal modem board and de-plug the modem port in order for your Performa to 'see' the external modem. Interesting..."

You just might be on to something! Thanks everyone for all the advice!
    I'll keep you posted.

10. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

Success! I hit connect and heard my modem sing its wonderful song of dialing up my ISP! Thanks a lot everyone. I have now fully restored this vintage mac!

11. epiphany macrumors regular

what worked?

Was it from taking out the modem board? Did the printer port see it?

12. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, sorry! in all my excitement i forgot to disclose that. I took out the modem board and found that this whole time there had been a cap on the modem port so i really did have that extra plug this whole time! Anyway, it is still as slow as crap because of its slow processor not being able to put images and the like up very fast, but, at least it works now! Thankyou so much everyone for the advice!

(raised the (inter)net value to about $5!) :D