Some Advice [late 2006 iMac vs. new iMac]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by agchat, Nov 8, 2013.

1. agchat macrumors newbie

I have a late 2006 iMac, it has

Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

We have decided to upgrade to the new iMac the basic 21 inch. Will I notice a big time difference in the operating of this new iMac with regards to speed. Gaming and videoing are very seldom done. Mostly business books, emailing and web browsing, and some iPhoto stuff. in fact out of 250 GB on old one it it saying 155gb still available. Old one works awesome yet, but like a automobile you have to upgrade once in a while. Wife kinda wants her own anyway.

2. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

The specs sound close to the 2007 MBP that I had, and recently sold to my sister. I upgraded to an 11" MBA. And I have a 2010 iMac that I am in the process of replacing with a new one.

If your iMac runs like my old MBP, I'd say that you will definitely see some improvement, even in the little things like web browsing. And especially in something like iPhoto.

It never hurts to have two machines available. ;)

3. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

4. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Actually, if you don't need the storage space (which it looks like you don't if you're only using ~100GB now), I'd get the 256GB SSD instead of the Fusion drive. That, combined with the new processor, graphics, and screen, will be a world of difference over what you have now.

I upgraded from a 2006 MBP to a 2010 iMac with SSD; huge difference.

5. mhdena macrumors 6502

6. agchat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, but if I just bought the base 21 inch i feel that would be fine for my needs, or Iam i missing something by not getting ssd?