some advice on new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rockos, Jul 6, 2008.

1. rockos macrumors member

Right now I have a black macbook bought in april 07 pre santa rosa. i have upgraded it to 2gb ram and put a 200 gb HD in it.

here is my question with montiva (sp) due to be released on july 14 accord into macrumors, any ideas on speed increase going to 4gb ram? or even speed increase with the current macbook

my nephew really wants a macbook and was thinking about giving him mine and picking up a new one. i am not in a hurry and can wait until august when he goes back to school.

i know it has been rumored of a possible new screen such as what is in the macbook air...any truth to this?

i am personally thinking about a macbook air...but with only 2gb ram and only 64gb ssd hd just not enought for me. i also run bootcamp with vista ultimate because certain programs at my office require windblows.

thanks guys

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I can't comment on what the new MacBook revision will bring, but I can tell you that 4GB really made an improvement in terms of speed, though any improvement for you will depend on how you use your machine.

I usually keep several apps running at one time, each with several open documents, including Word, Excel, Keynote, Omnigraffle Pro, Safari, Mail and iCal. I will often need to launch a Parallels WinXP virtual machine, too (which is configured to use 768MB of RAM). There would be a ridiculous amount of virtual memory swapping if I tried to do this with 1GB or 2GB of RAM, but it all fits nicely within 4GB.

If you only keep one or two apps open at any given time, then 4GB wont do anything for you. If you're a multitasker, then the $90 investment to upgrade to 4GB would probably be well worth it.