Some advice on taking my MBA to the apple store genius please - screen issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rchip, Oct 6, 2013.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hey guys. I've booked an appointment to see an apple genius about a problem with my MBA screen. I have apple care and it's a 2011 MBA in the apple care period. For a long time there's been a white spot, which kind of looks like the top part of an over grown finger nail in the top left of the screen! I've since noticed another one develop on the bottom right part of the screen. You can only see them at certain angles and it's most visible on white or yellow backgrounds. It's quite distracting and annoying as my eye is often drawn to it.

Now, I've had really bad service before with this MBA at the genius bar. I had a lot of creaking in my MBA, like really pound. The genius simply said 'it's within tolerances' ... after a lot of fussing and me being made to feel like an idiot, eventually another genius opened it up and it turned out the battery clip wasn't installed properly and was causing the creaking.

I'm expecting terrible service when I take my MBA in this time as well. I'm fully expecting them to say I damaged the screen myself without considering anything about the situation. I've done some searching and read people with similar issues have had their screens replaced so that's a good sign, but I'm not expecting to be so lucky. I know there has never been any accidents with this machine, it's flawless cosmetically. So I will argue there are no physical marks on the screen or body, so I haven't caused these weird white spots.

I however have no real knowledge of how lcd screens work but this thread here talks about 'Mura' and posts an image further down the thread that looks exactly like my screen! Exactly the same!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4042189?start=0&tstart=0

The point of this thread is, as I know nothing about lcd screens - I need your knowledge so I have some fire power about why this issue isn't because I've damaged my mba and it's a defect in the screen.

Thanks very much for your help,

Rich.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If there's a white spot, and no signs of physical damage, they'll replace the screen no problems.

If there's damage correlating to the same area (i.e. signs of liquid/dents) then you may have trouble.

3. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply! We shall see ... Will let you know how I get on, appointment isn't until Saturday.

4. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

How did the appointment go?

5. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Gee, I'm so sorry I forgot to update - I ended up having to cancel the appointment :( I will be making another appointment soon and will update this thread - hah I know it's not too interesting but I will update.

6. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I had a similar light spot on my MacBook Air. It was most visible with a light background and not visible at all with a black background. It was about an inch up from the bottom of the screen and about 1/2 inch in diameter with an irregular shape. I first noticed it when the computer was about 3 months old but it may have been there from the beginning -- not very noticeable near the bottom of the screen until you know it's there. I waited another 6 months before I finally took it in to my local authorized retailer ("The Mac Store" in Oregon). They looked at it and immediately agreed it was a defect. They sent it in for repair and it was back in about 4 days.

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I recently noticed two small bright spots right in the bottom right corner of my 2012 Air's screen. Pretty tiny but once you've seen it you can't help but look at it.

Took it to the Genius Bar here, they saw it instantly and after checking for physical damage, booked it in to have the screen replaced under AppleCare.