some advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sigmalover, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sigmalover macrumors newbie

OK, so I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and I plan to buy either a macbook or macbook pro in the near future, but I still can't decide what route to go. I know this subject has been beat to death, but I still can't decide, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm looking at the base model macbook pro and the middle end macbook. If I go with the macbook I could afford to buy a cinema display (probably the 20", but the 23" is very tempting).
    I will be using it mainly for photo editing (RAW developer and photoshop elements 6.0 when the mac version is released.) I'll upgrade to CS3 at some point, but that's a bit more then I can afford right now. I also spend quite a bit of time on the net and have a massive library of music that I would like to keep on my machine...I've never been a huge ipod fan, but I burn allot of CD's. I'm not a gamer, so the independent graphics card doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I want what ever I buy to last me at least three years.
    The only thing that scares me about the macbook is the build quality...I've read way to many threads about the cases cracking, separating or just falling apart in general.
    Anyway, please help me out...I know there will be some announcements at macworld that could sway my decision, but from what I've read most people aren't expecting any huge changes, so I'd probably go with the current models in order to save a few bucks.

2. Designer1 macrumors member

I had a Black Macbook C2D 2.0 for almost a year. When I sold it, it was in perfect condition and ran like a champ. I regularly carried it to school and coffee shops but I always used a screen protector and incase sleeve with it. I think that, in most cases, if you take care of the laptop you will not have any issues. You could always get a lemon but that is a chance you'll have to take...

I now own an MBP 2.4 that I bought a month ago. I recently started web design and photo editing projects and decided to upgrade. The Macbook could handle the Adobe CS3 suite but I often found that I had to ramp the fans up with fan control to keep it cool. When I was doing continuous editing in Photoshop it had a tendency to get quite hot (this was with 2GB RAM, BTW).

I've found that the MBP stays quite a bit cooler when working with CS3. I'm sure the casing plays a big part in this. I also prefer the matte screen for editing.

Anyway, that's my two cents. The choice is obviously yours and the lure of a cinema display is understandable. In general, I have had great luck with both machines.

Amanda

3. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

You could really just buy a baseline MBP (which would be better overall for your needs with CS3) and a decent 20-24 inch monitor from Gateway or some other brand that isn't a beautiful ACD, and come out just about even. If you're looking for staying power I'd def. put my vote in for the MBP.

Then again, ACD's are the best looking ones around.

sigh, decisions decisions.

4. sigmalover thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input...looks like I need to make a decision here.
    I wish I could get the macbook pro with an external monitor, but that's a bit over my budget.
    I can get the macbook pro for $1,839
    the macbook plus 20" cinema display for $1,773
    or the macbook and 23" for $2,049
    My budget is about $2,000 and there's about $215 worth of software I plan to buy with it, so if I go with the 23" I'll be with out the software for a month or so.
    Well I guess it’s looking like the pro is my best bet.
    Thanks