Some advice re best windows OS option

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wackymacky, May 26, 2010.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I don't really want to install Windows on my Mac but one of the companies I do work for I need to be able to access their intranet remotely and their IT dept will only let me install the VPN /Terminal Server in a Windows environment (with up-to-date antivirus software :) ).

So, the Mac I will install it in is 12 months old Intel Alu iMac with 2 gig ram, the HD is 360GB with only about 1/3 used. I have not intention of installing much in the way of software apart from a windows OS and the VPN software, and I suppose antiviral as well :( .

How big partition will windows need?

Oh, I havn't upgraded from Leopard to Snow, but will it it really makes a difference.

Given I've been writing across my HD for a year will I need to defragment the HD prior?

Shall I install XP/vista/windows 7. (remembering the purpose is only to use VPN). (the company won't pay for the OS as they don't like Macs to start with.)

Thanks.

2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.

Well, XP will take the least space and Seven is probably nicer. Vista is generally regarded as a bad choice. I suggest XP for your purposes. The partition size shouldn't have to be more than 10gb or so. An awful lot of XP computers still have 40gb drives, I certainly wouldn't go that big.
    For XP, Pro is the better choice, Vista/Seven, Pro or Business, 32-bit.

Regardless of which you choose, Microsoft wants you to buy the "Full Retal Boxed Version" of Windows for use on a Mac. Why? Since you're not the builder, you shouldn't use the OEM System Builders version and since Macs don't come with Windows they're not eligible for the upgrade versions.

Next, you must choose how to run Windows on your Mac.
    Your local, unfriendly (towards Macs) IT guys would probably prefer that you do NOT run Windows under Virtualization Software such as Parallels or Fusion.

They almost certainly will prefer that you run Windows by way of BootCamp as that is most like a regular PC.

Good Luck,
    Keri

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Personally, for the needs you describe, I'd recommend spending some money to upgrade your RAM to 4GB and install Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine (VMWare Fusion/Parallels/Virtualbox).

If the IT guys were so anti-Mac you'd think they'd be glad to support "converting" one back to Windows, and the VM would even hide the fact that it is a Mac at all.

EDIT: As KeriJane says stick with 32 bit, full retail boxed. You can't really buy XP that way any more so that's why I recommended 7.

B

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

+1

5. pandabearjohnso macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

XP hard to find

Good luck finding a legal, full retail version of Windows XP Pro. I am looking for one right now and trying to make the same decision of whether to go XP or 7.

Remember it has to be a full retail version, that is what makes it hard to find. The OEM versions are everywhere, but they won't do you any good. The full retail versions seems to be going for $200 - $300. Also, note that you need Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3, so a really old (2002) copy of XP Pro won't do you any good either. :(

6. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

You sure? I remember installing an OEM version of XP off of newegg.com before I upgraded to Windows 7.

7. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I have installed Windows 7 on my MBP. It's pretty awesome!
    Windows 7 is a very good program. I find it very easy to use. And Bootcamp makes things SO easy!

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OEM works fine, but you are using it outside the license. (It is not licensed to end users). Boot Camp Assistant may not recognize it and you just have to press Alt/Option during boot to get it to go.

B

9. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

win 7 will need the latest Mac OS, so if you're on Leopard, XP Pro would be the simpler more affordable choice. I purchased and successfully installed a builders version of WinXP pro off ebay. and have since upgraded that to Win7.

If you're not running in a virtual machine, 2 gig is probably o.k. but if you do run Virtual, it'll be painful with only 2 gig.

mg

10. JLUGO35 Guest

JLUGO35

Ahh, I forgot about that. Good eyes on catching me on that.