Some Advice Regarding Apple Customer Relations Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MagicDaniels, Mar 13, 2008.

1. MagicDaniels macrumors newbie

Hi,

I purchased ablack macbook 2.2ghz version from the mac store in birmingham, just over 2 weeks ago, following advice from their sales staff that it was the best macbook for the money that i wanted to spend and was assured that it was the pretty future proof by afore said salesperson.

To my horror i have now found out that after just over two weeks my new macbook is already out dated and i feel a little angry about this:mad:

What i am asking as i have never had to deal with mac before is is it worth contacting mac to see if i can get some kind of remuneration for what i believe is exceedingly poor sales techniques. \i mean this sales advisor must have known that they were expecting new upgraded stock, after all they are genius's;).

So any advice would be much appreciated

Thankyou

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Was it after the new models were announced, that was on February 26th...
    Otherwise its really buyer beware.

3. Sussman macrumors member

not out-dated

first of all, your macbook is by no means "out-dated." I would recommend just enjoying your new Apple and not worry that the new ones are 0.2GHz faster because you probably wouldn't notice. You could try to contact Apple and explain your story but I doubt they will reimburse you. Question, did you check the buyer's guide here at macrumors because it probably would have told you the macbooks were expecting a update, but I may be wrong. All and all, just enjoy your macbook, it is still top of the line.

4. MagicDaniels thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was the 23rd February, it isn't that i feel my macbook is inferior that is irritating, it is the deception of the sales team that is grinding me really.

thankyou for the quick responses by the way.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then they didn't deceive you, they don't know any more about new models than we do.

6. chinarider macrumors regular

Considering that they probably had no idea that they would be updated 3 days later, there is no deception here.

And if you hadn't waited to gripe so long until now, you'd probably be able to return it within your 14 days.

Take a breath, dont keep "grinding" - Then go talk to them and explain the situation CAMLY. You may actually get somewhere. If you go in with the attitude that you've shown here, you'll get nowhere.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its a complete waste of time, you bought before the new models were out, they won't do anything.

8. MagicDaniels thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated. :)

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

its not a waste of time- go on very calmly and state your case. the odds are against you because you waited too long, but just explain to the manager(s) that you just found out that your unit was upgrade 3 days after you bought it. you never know- its definitely worth a shot.

and truthfully , I wouldn't be happy either. not because of .2GHZ speed bump-because the unit you paid $1499 for was selling for $1049 a couple days later. sure, its buyer beware, but im betting apple would definitely make this right by you had you gone in right away . now? can't hurt to try. I'd try to either get the newer one, or posssibly pay the refurb price.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

What do you want them to do? Plaster a "DONT BUY NEW UPDATES COMING SOON!" on their front page? That would be bad business. A computer is a big purchases and you should have looked into it more, so I don't really sympathize with you all that much on this one unfortunately. But it's worth a try w/ Apple. I wish you lots of luck!

11. Zweben macrumors member

Zweben

I agree that it's worth a shot. Apple has no obligation to do anything because you bought before the computers were updated, and your chances would've been better had you acted earlier, but they do want to keep customers happy if possible. To me it seems reasonable to at least refund customers the price difference when an item's price drops right after a purchase. Amazon has a price protection offer that does this, Apple might be willing to also.

If you're not able to get anything from them, just keep in mind that Apple was going to update their hardware no matter what, and it doesn't really make any difference whether they update it 3 days later or 300, your computer is still exactly what you wanted when you bought it and will do its job just as well.

12. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I just read on this very site how someone returned an iPhone that they dropped into a toilet filled with their own urine and they replaced it for free.. This guys definitely got a shot.. Like the other poster said, they very well may turn you away because you waited too long, but if it's me, I'm trying it..

13. f1 macrumors 6502

As a former Apple employee, that sales person did not deceive you at all. Throughout my 3 years at apple, I have NEVER been informed in advance about any new product release dates.

14. gothamm macrumors 6502a

its outdated even if its a .000093 ghz increase. its not what the man paid for, knowing there is something better out there.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

That's gotta be annoying, looking someone in the eye and telling them "this is the latest and greatest" and finding out the next morning that it was replaced. Seeing them march back in the store angrily must be a big "Oh ****" moment.

I guess there's no easy solution, though.

16. zeesa macrumors member

Technology is always being updated no matter what. The sales person honestly had no idea as well as the manager's! I used to work there and I was always surprised when new stuff came out. I completely and utterly doubt they will replace your machine because Apple is always all about "now". Good luck though.

17. MagicDaniels thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I popped into the store today on my lunch break and had a very good conversation with the manager who totally understood my situation and replaced the macbook for the new updated version, with little fuss. I was certainly not expecting this and it came as a complete shock:eek: But certainly a great end to my week.

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys who replied and helped to shine a little light on the situation.

Once again thanks and keep up the good work.:D

18. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

MY MAN!! .. Good job. everyones happy now.. you're happy cause you got the killer upgrade- someones gonna be happy in about a week cause they're gonna get themselves a practically brand new mac at a sick price (might even be a first time mac user)- and apples happy cause their customer service just took a big step towards securing a lifelongcustomer.

as johnny drama would say; "VICTORY!!!!!"

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hah, wasn't expecting that at ALL. Congratulations!

20. hookem12387 macrumors 6502