Some Advice Relating to SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevb8ll, Apr 21, 2015.

1. kevb8ll macrumors newbie

Hi guys, wonder if you could help me. I have a couple of questions.

I have a mid 2010 Macbook pro and I am intending to change the drive to an SSD.

I have Time Machine so have a backup of my drive, however when I put the SSD in it won't have an OS. The mac came pre-installed with Mavericks, so I don't have a system disc.

I tried googling, and discovered DiskmakerX. When I tried to create a bootdisk for Mavericks I get the following error:

No Installer application could be found. Click on Select a file and choose the OS X Installer application OR the InstallESD.dmg file. If you can't find a Lion or Mountain Lion Install application, please check the FAQ.

So my questions are:

1. How can I create a bootable disk so I can put Mavericks on the SSD so I can install Timemachine so I can put my back up on the new drive?

2. Am I likely to run into any problems when I put the timemachine image on the new drive?

Thanks

2. dyt1983, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.

3. kevb8ll thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't need to. The TM disk has a recovery utility built in. Just attach the TM disk after you install the new drive then option key boot to it. Now use Disk Util to erase the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore. The entire OS and all your apps and data will be moved over to the new SSD.

5. kevb8ll thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW REALLY??? That easy???

I will try that when I get my SSD. So when I start the MacBook, I press the option button it will give me a choice to boot from my external hardrive which I use for TM?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yup... since Lion 10.7.2 you could do this. Very easy. :)

7. kevb8ll thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. :)