Some Airport Express questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iamsen47, Sep 13, 2012.

1. iamsen47 macrumors regular

Got it tuesday, set it up last night and it works great.

Some questions though.

Do I have to change the set up everytime I bring it onto a different network?

What's the difference between the passwords for the network and the password for the base station?
    I tried giving them different names and passwords and then I couldn't connect to it anymore.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

maybe, maybe not, depends on how you have it set up.
    the base station password allows you to change settings
    the network password is needed to get on the network. and will be given to anyone who you want to share the connection with.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

You won't have to change the settings as long as the new network connects the same way you do at home. ie. assuming you just plug it into an Ethernet cable, it assigns an ip address automatically via DHCP you can plug it into any other network that does the same. Since this is the most common network configuration, in practice it's pretty flexible. If however the new network requires you to authenticate first, it is a little more complicated.

4. iamsen47 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers, that makes things a little clearer.
    Sometimes, simple is a little too simple :)

My network at home doesn't require any special settings other than a network password and I got it to work rather simply. Connection at the office though, there was a little difference in that the router connected to the modem needed to be set to PPPoE with various DNS, user ids and passwords.

I initially tried replacing that router with the Express and setting those up accordingly but it didn't work. I then connected the Express to the router using my home settings (bridge, I believe) and it worked.