Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Interesting read at:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...out-user-consent-or-disclosure-300362844.html

Kryptowire has identified several models of Android mobile devices that contained firmware that collected sensitive personal data about their users and transmitted this sensitive data to third-party servers without disclosure or the users' consent. These devices were available through major US-based online retailers (Amazon, BestBuy, for example) and included popular smartphones such as the BLU R1 HD. The core of the monitoring activities took place using a commercial Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) update software system that was shipped with the Android devices we tested and were managed by a company named Shanghai Adups Technology Co. Ltd.

Unfortunately, a sign of the times.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I thought there was a thread on this already but I can't find it. As indicated, that stuff is built into the ad networks used on the super-cheap devices, other devices built in China (what devices AREN'T?) with software installed or managed by a US or Korean company won't have this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.