Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some Apple employees are concerned about the usefulness and price point of the company's upcoming mixed-reality headset, The New York Times reports.

apple-mixed-reality-headset-concept-by-david-lewis-and-marcus-kane.jpg
Apple headset concept by David Lewis and Marcus Kane

Initial enthusiasm around the device at the company has apparently become skepticism, according to eight current and former Apple employees speaking to The New York Times. The change of tone reportedly marks an unprecedented level of concern about a new Apple product inside the company, in stark contrast to previous product launches that were pursued with single-mindedness and enthusiasm.

The first-generation headset is purportedly seen as a bridge to future products that require technological breakthroughs, but many employees are said to have worries about the device's $3,000 price point, utility, and unproven market. Skeptics have questioned if the device is "a solution in search of a problem," unlike the iPod and iPhone. The headset has apparently not been "driven by the same clarity" as Apple's other products.

Some Apple employees have defected from the project due to doubts about its potential, while others have been fired over lack of progress with some of the device's functionality, including Siri. The discontent is said to extend to members of Apple's leadership, some of whom have questioned the device's prospects.

The headset was apparently presented to many of Apple's top 100 executives via a video at a corporate retreat five years ago made by design chief Jony Ive. The video depicted a man in a London taxi wearing an augmented reality headset calling his wife in San Francisco, sharing the sights of London through the husband's eyes.

The New York Times reaffirmed previous reports that the headset will feature a carbon fiber frame, a hip-mounted battery, outward-facing cameras, two 4K displays, prescription lenses for wearers of glasses, and a "reality dial" to increase or decrease real-time video pass-through from the surrounding environment.

Apple has focused on ensuring that the device excels at videoconferencing and time spent as virtual avatars, calling the headset's main application "copresence." There will also be custom high-resolution TV content from Hollywood filmmakers including Jon Favreau. Despite similarities with Meta's headsets and the "metaverse," Apple is expected to pitch the device as something that differs from existing offerings.

The device will also offer tools for artists, designers, and engineers, enabling drawing and image editing in 3D space. There will also be applications for editing virtual reality video using hand gestures. As a result, it is expected to appeal to businesses and design companies more than ordinary consumers. Some employees have allegedly speculated that Apple could again delay the headset's launch, even though manufacturing is now underway for an unveiling in June.

Article Link: Some Apple Employees Seriously Concerned About Mixed-Reality Headset as Announcement Draws Closer

Last edited:

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Can’t say I blame them. I fail to see the point behind this. Complete waste of time and resources in my opinion. Resources better spent on, oh I don’t know, a more bug free expletive, or longer battery life? Ya know, stuff that matters a heck of a lot more than this rich person and annoying YouTube toy.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
This has been sending out red flags since day one. Headsets are already niche. The success of this product depends on it being a "game changer"--not just for Apple, but for the headset market as a whole. Other headsets haven't succeeded at being anything more than a gimmick. The "Metaverse" is a huge flop. What will make this different?

I can’t be the only one who kind of hopes it flops…

I'm hoping it does because recent rumors have indicated that Apple is diverting resources and manpower from other products and divisions to focus on this thing, and for someone completely uninterested in it, that sucks.

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Concerns doesn't mean Apple should give it up. Even if it flops, the efforts will benefit other Apple hardware and services. Apple has the money to take some risk with this. VR is more of a niche field, at least for years to come, but AR has many benefits. Pushing forward with VR will set things up for better AR experiences.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It’s just a great concept! That’s probably where it’s going to end. Waste of R&D money, time, and talent.

As loyal Apple customers, we are very concerned too. $3,000 Apple Product and it will be half-baked, unfortunately. 😂
If you don’t like the product dont buy it. If you like the product buy it. The product will be as half baked as every other 1.0 release.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This has been sending out red flags since day one. Headsets are already niche. The success of this product depends on it being a "game changer"--not just for Apple, but for the headset market as a whole. Other headsets haven't succeeded at becoming anything other than a gimmick. The "Metaverse" is a huge flop. What will make this different?

I'm hoping it does because recent rumors have indicated that Apple is diverting resources and manpower from other products and divisions to focus on this thing, and for someone completely uninterested in it, that sucks.
By publicly stating a desire for a proscribed to fail, it means the product will ultimately be a success.

If you don’t like the product dont buy it. If you like the product buy it. The product will be as half baked as every other 1.0 release.
It’s not that I don’t like the product. It’s just I don’t think the world is ready yet. The biggest factor is the $3000 price point. It’s already starting off overly expensive. Niche market product!

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
By publicly stating a desire for a proscribed to fail, it means the product will ultimately be a success.

I didn't know I personally had that much influence over Apple and the successes or failures of their products, but cool, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Let's see, what else: I hope M3 and the next iMac will be colossal failures!

(Did I just guarantee the success of those products? I admit I have an ulterior motive here... 😉) Or does Apple know I'm being sarcastic? 😳

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
It seems quite weird that Cook seems to press this thing so hard when nobody is buying it. A $ 1500 phone is still a phone and that’s ultimately something everybody needs. A $ 3000 headset is just for fun, nobody really needs init’s current form as I read it. Google glass was made for medical experts like surgeons, it failed ultimately, it at least it had useful functionality. Reading this you pay $ 3K just for Facetime and some media content.

This all reads like a big fail.

Steve Jobs once told something along the line that he hired people so they could them him how and what to do, the current Apple works a little different.

If this indeed fails horribly this will be the end of Cook as CEO. Not sure who is currently next in line, but I hope someone with an eye for quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.