Some Apple TV questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by matt9013, Oct 29, 2016.

1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

Been thinking about getting an Apple TV and have a few questions.

1- I have Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. Those are all on Apple TV right?

2- We have DirecTV and just got HBO, Showtime and Starz. I can watch all those shows on the Apple TV through apps right? Like GoT, Outlander, Ash vs Evil Dead etc? New episodes appear right away?

3- They have an ESPN app right? My Dad likes to watch Football but hates using the iPad. It's the same as the iPad right? Sign into Directv through the app and watch the game on the TV?

4- Can I use my Ipad and see it on the Apple TV? So I can play iPad only games but see it on the TV or is it only certain things?

Thanks

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

All yes apart from Amazon, I believe.

Remember the iPad has a 3:2 screen ratio so mirroring games to your TV will result in black stripes at the edges.

3. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

4. Rigby, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

Rigby macrumors 601

Netflix yes, Amazon no.
    At least episodes on HBO Go/Now show up when they air, not sure about the others.
    You can mirror the display to the Apple TV, but that will likely be a subpar experience, since most iPad games are made for touch and you need to see where your fingers are, so you'll have to look at the iPad screen anyway. Also, mirroring will probably be somewhat laggy and reduce the image quality. But there are a number of games that have proper Apple TV versions now (often included with the iOS purchase). If you want to go that route, you may want to get an Apple TV gamepad such as the Steelseries Nimbus.

5. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

1. Netflix yes and Amazon prime only streamed from ipad/iphone
    2. Yes with HBO and Showtime. Hopefully subscribers of DTV will be able to use the uocoming DTV app fit Apple TV (possibly November 4.
    3. Yes.