Some Applications not starting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AnonymousJoe, Jan 27, 2009.

1. AnonymousJoe macrumors newbie

I recently downloaded some shareware programs, which may not have been the brightest idea but i needed the software they provided. When I click on them, the icon bounces up and down, and the little black arrow indicates it is going to start up, but then it just... doesn't.

I am, for the most part, completely ignorant to how these systems work, and I hope that people here can help.

Edit* I did in fact open the disk images provided and drag the programs into the correct applications folder.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What applications? What operating system version are you running? I'm assuming you're on Tiger here, since you mention little black arrows.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

They might not be for your OS version, or you might need to repair your permissions through disk utility.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Mac OS programs?

They could be old PPC programs, or even older Mac OS 8-9 programs which need Classic to run (which means Intel machines need some help).

5. AnonymousJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running tiger, and the programs are things like: aMule (I made sure to get a version compatable with tiger) and a program called Noteburner which was supposed to help convert music file types. There were others I deleted out of sheer frustration and i cant recall their names.

Is it possible to get classic for my mac? It doesn't have it.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That depends if your computer is PowerPC (G4, G5) or Intel (Core Duo, Core 2 Duo). If you're running a PowerPC Mac, you should be able to install the Classic environment from your computer's install disks. Intel Macs can't run Classic.