Some apps don't start on OS X tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lofight, Aug 14, 2009.

1. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I have a macbook with OS X tiger. Since a week some apps don't open anymore.

When I click on them their icon appears in the dock, it bounces a couple of times and it closes. Some still work. Apps like firefox, iMovie, iDvd, Football manger 08 and some others work. But iTunes, Safari, Mail and some others don't work.

Could it be a problem with the code the app is written with?

Please help me

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Have you checked the logs to see why the applications don't launch?

3. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Code:

Aug 14 20:30:50 Lorenzvh crashdump[770]: iTunes crashed
    Aug 14 20:30:51 Lorenzvh crashdump[770]: crash report written to: /Users/vanherwaardenfrankrijk/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/iTunes.crash.log
    dyld: Symbol not found: __ZN3JSC6JSCell3putEPNS_9ExecStateEjNS_10JSValuePtrE
      Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
      Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

Aug 14 21:08:03 Lorenzvh crashdump[784]: iTunes crashed
    Aug 14 21:08:03 Lorenzvh crashdump[784]: crash report written to: /Users/vanherwaardenfrankrijk/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/iTunes.crash.log
    dyld: Symbol not found: __ZN3JSC6JSCell3putEPNS_9ExecStateEjNS_10JSValuePtrE
      Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
      Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

Aug 14 21:29:33 Lorenzvh crashdump[792]: iTunes crashed
    Aug 14 21:29:33 Lorenzvh crashdump[792]: crash report written to: /Users/vanherwaardenfrankrijk/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/iTunes.crash.log

4. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

This is how mail crashed

Code:
    Host Name:      Lorenzvh
    Date/Time:      2009-08-13 11:49:36.787 +0200
    OS Version:     10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
    Report Version: 4

Command: Mail
    Path:    /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
    Parent:  WindowServer [55]

Version: 2.1.3 (753.1)

PID:    248
    Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: __ZN3JSC6JSCell3putEPNS_9ExecStateEjNS_10JSValuePtrE

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've seen this happen once on an iBook G4 with Tiger. The solution was Target Disk Mode the machine and using my MacBook I extracted those files from the 10.4.11 update package and placed them in their proper locations on the iBook's drive.

Archive & Install works too. I didn't have that option for this iBook. You're lucky that I've run into this exact same problem.

6. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Isn't there any other possibility. I don't have another computer here since we're on vacation, and are going to be for still two weeks. And I also don't have the tiger disk to archive and install...

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try running the 10.4.11 update again and make sure it's the combo updater.

8. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

I'll try that, but I think it won't work.
    I tried reinstalling safari via the apple website and after I finished downloading, I couldn't install Safari because the installation programme also crashes...

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Because you have to have those files in the correct place to begin with.

The 10.4.11 combo update has those files. Once you place them where they are expected to be, as the log states, you can then run the Safari update which is expecting those files to be there.

Like I said I had the exact same problem.

10. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Thanks alot!

The update is still downloading (slow ****ing monopoly orange internet).

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

One more thing.

I don't think you'll be able to run the updater since it looks for those files to begin with. In order to run the 10.4.11 update I had to extract the package and manually place those files in. The update has the files needed to run the update but won't run without those files.

Yeah...it just works.

12. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

This might seem a stupid question but how do I know where the all the files go?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

/System/Library/Frameworks/

A framework is referenced but it's not there as the log states in each error.

14. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

I'm really sorry but I don't see where those files are in the update...

I really don't understand what I have to do,
    can someone explain me easily?

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I guess I'll keep helping you then. I normally just extract archive of files from the package using Show Package Contents in Finder and then going to Contents/Resources/Archive.pax.gz, make a copy to the desktop, and then uncompressing that.

Instead download Pacifist. Tell it to open the 10.4.11 combo update package.

Once that is opened you can go to /System/Library/Frameworks within the package and then extract the JaveScriptCore.framework and WebKit.framework.

Those are the folders that will need to be replaced in System/Library/Framework to fix everything. I really think you should do an Archive & Install if this is getting complicated for you.