Some apps grayed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Starflyer, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Starflyer, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014

Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Moderator note: This is a post by user StarShot. Due to an error by MacRumors it is shown with the wrong username. Our apologies.

After setting up my new iPhone 6, I "restored" my recent backup from iTunes/computer. For some reason several apps are greyed out. When tapping on a greyed out app, I see "Waiting..." displayed under the icons. Other restored apps work fine.

I downloaded one of the greyed out apps and after reinstalling, it worked fine. I'm not looking forward to downloading ALL the greyed out apps. I don't remember this problem from any previous new iPhone.

2. jkskrap macrumors member

I had the same problem and they only thing that worked for me was deleting them and reinstalling - like you said. Maybe someone else has a better way?

3. Starflyer, Sep 21, 2014

Starflyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Moderator note: This is a post by user StarShot. Due to an error by MacRumors it is shown with the wrong username. Our apologies.

About the only good thing about this is that I allows me to delete some apps I don't use much or at all.

A tip for anyone having to do this. NOTE the name of the app before searching for it to download again. Once you click on the greyed out app, the name disappears, making it slightly harder to find it on the App store.

4. Killchain macrumors member

Killchain

Depending on your data connection, hopefully you do have wi-fi. This is normal until all app backups download from the iCloud. Mine wi-fi connection seemed slow from launch day 09-19-14 every one were downloading backups. But my backup was faster than getting Verizon to activate my phone..........boy they were busy.

5. Starflyer, Sep 22, 2014

Starflyer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Don't see why this would apply to me as I Restored my apps to my new IP6 from my MBA via a cabled connection. Didn't use the Cloud. When I did the backup to iTunes with my 5S, I didn't have the latest iTunes update. Perhaps IF I had used the Cloud, I wouldn't have had this problem.

When I plugged my new IP6 into the computer to Restore, I got a message that said I had to first install the latest iTunes update (which I did). Then, plugging back in, I selected my latest Backup, and Restored it to my new IP6. Shortly thereafter, I noticed several greyed out apps that will ONLY work if I download a fresh copy.

Since several of my paid apps worked fine, I'm guessing the apps that are greyed out are not totally compatible with iOS8 UNLESS they're reloaded.

In reality, it's just a minor problem although a bit of a PITA. The plus is that I'm dumping greyed out apps that I didn't use much or even not at all.