Some AVi Files I find are white?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPowers, Apr 7, 2007.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

I don't get this. When I upload certain avi files, I see a message that quicktime needs a 3rd party extension, when none of them can help with the sitionation. There is a white visual screen instead of an actual video and the sound usually doesn't work, but the filesize and everything seems correct.

What could be wrong and how can I fix this?

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

First, I'd try installing Perian, as it handles many of the more popular codecs and integrates them into Quicktime. Secondly, if that doesn't fix it for you, I'd suggest jumping to VLC, as it has support for a number of the more obscure codecs.

The white is happening because the Quicktime doesn't understand how to decode the video, and in some cases, will be able to decode the audio if it's in a format it understands.

3. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the problem. VLC Crashes when I try to open it.

Is there a 3rd party software for quick time that will make it work? Before I try Persian.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

perian works a charm for Qt and divx also try MPlayer that ok too

5. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Perian is the third party software. I don't know what you're looking for in the way of "third party software" that would exclude Perian. It's a third-party bundle of codecs, which includes Flash, DivX, XviD and 3vix among a few others.

To find the format in QT: if you have Quicktime Pro you can go to Window -> Show Movie Properties (command-J) and it may say the Format in the video track section. I've found that the other alternative Window -> Show Movie Info (command-I), which is available in all versions, to be a little buggy. But that might tell you the format, too.

And, yes, as liketom mentioned, MPlayer OSX, is another option.

EDIT: When you say uploading, is it working fine on your local machine and when you try to use it wherever you're connecting to, it fails?