Some basic iTunes ?'s

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scooterguitar, Dec 27, 2009.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

Long time lover of Windows Media player, but totally doing away with PC within the next few months, so looks like itunes for me.
    I got a new ipod and am installing itunes now on my current pc.
    I have all of my music basically stored on flash drives (because PC's always crash and are getting replaces here).

So, simple switchover? I asked on my ipod thread on here about album artwork, etc, hope that goes well enough.

Will itunes search my pc for music I actually have on it now, besides the flashdrives?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

There is an option for iTunes to search for all music on your machine the first time you start up or by holding Shift when iTunes starts up.

To import music into iTunes just go to File>Add to Library and select the directory where your music is stored. It will import the music and all metadata, including tags, lyrics and artwork.

If you're going to switch to a Mac, transfer using this:

First, be sure that in the iTunes preferences you have this box checked "Copy file to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library"

Second, after you've added all of your music to your iTunes Library, find the iTunes Music Folder on your drive and copy it. It's specifically labeled "iTunes Music".

Paste that file to an external drive and then plug it into your mac. From there simply go to File>Add to Library and select the iTunes Music folder on the external drive. Done.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Storing music on flash drives isn't any safer. Flash drives crash too, just like computers. You need to make back ups of your files, not store them on flash drives if you want to be safe.

4. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips.
    I downloaded it and chose run, now it keeps going back over copying files, etc...I assume I need to redownload and install it, it has been installing for about 20 minutes now (after downloading quickly)...and I have a fairly fast/newer PC.

To ne noted, I unchecked to make it my default player, will this matter in any aspect?

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

That shouldn't matter.

I suppose you downloaded and clicked "run" and it's doing what? Extracting, downloading?

If I were you I'd just download and "save" to the Desktop, then launch from there.

Man, every time I use Windows I'm glad to have a Mac :p

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a friend doing the same thing, but she's having issues with songs she bought though Windows Media Player. Is this normal when going from Windows Media Player to iTunes?

7. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

I just noticed I need the 64bit installer too. Do I install that before the actual itunes maybe?

Do I want itunes to open automatically ya think? MEaning as default?
    Ha, I know Cheeto! I bought a small macbook last year for music recording and production, loved it but the small screen is just too little for my old eyes and needs. Gave that to our girl going to college for this Christams so I can buy a new iMac and be done with Windows! I've been working with sveral older and brand new macs at work, just so much better for my needs and no stupid issues like my pc's always have.

Per flash drives...several years ago I spent days ripping my cd collection to a pc...eventually that pc was about to die so I transferred everything to flash drives. After the latest PC I only throw them onto the PC when I think of a song, basically yo try and keep POS PC from getting too bogged down, though it shouldn't:mad: Now I'm going to trhow everything onto itunes on this pc and load to ipod, when I get the new mac I'll add the external storage at that time.
    Thanks man

8. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Switched off virus protection, seemed to have installed. Going to load my flash drives, then try the mass install.