Some basic questions about Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnsmith153, Jun 22, 2011.

1. johnsmith153 macrumors newbie

I want to connect a Time Capsule to my current wirelsss router. I would do this with ethernet. Can you clarify my understanding of it?

(1) My wireless router (provided by my broadband provider) is wireless g. My Mac is wireless n. Will Time Capsule allow the faster transfer of wireless n (for internet access) if it is plugged into the router (and I suppose the Mac / PC connect to Time Capsule rather than the router).

(2) Can I share files from PC to Mac? Even if I need to plug a USB Flash Drive into Time Capsule, I want to be able to quickly pass files from PC to Mac (just like plugging in a USB Flash Drive into one computer, saving a file and then plugging it into the other computer). This must be quick, like a shared hard drive between PC and Mac.

(3) I hear iPads and iPhones can access Time Capsule but can't backup files to it. What can they do with it then?

(4) Can iTunes content (movies mainly) somehow be stored on the Time Capsule so that Apple TV can access them from there rather than the Mac? In other words if all computers are off and the Time Capsule is on, can I access content from iTunes (I suppose it must be stored on the Time Capsule)?

Thanks in advance.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Not to be a jerk, but there are no less than 1000 threads on each and every one of your questions above, you really need to do some research.

I will answer question 1 and that is, it depends on the distance from the base station. And for 2, I am not sure if you are asking if you can share files via a TC or not. If you mean TC, I am not sure you really understand what a TC is, it is not a mirror of your HD. You can partition your TC to be part Time Machine Back Up and part normal storage for file access and sharing, however it would be cheaper to get a smaller TC and add a small USB drive for file sharing off the back of it. But again, are you sure you know what a TC/Time Machine really are? Maybe you should research it a bit.

Fast is relative to the drive, the network, the file size, etc. I have streamed movies from a USB drive off of the back of my AEBS via WiFi with no problem.

3. johnsmith153 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have researched and now I am continuing that research by posting here.

"You can partition your TC to be part Time Machine Back Up and part normal storage for file access and sharing, however it would be cheaper to get a smaller TC and add a small USB drive for file sharing off the back of it. But again, are you sure you know what a TC/Time Machine really are?"

Yes, I said I would use a USB Flash Drive.

Looks like you need to do some research.

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

Or you can grow up a little and not be a snot nosed kid. Honestly the attitudes of some people asking for others to do the work for them is amazing. I started off by saying I WASN'T TRYING TO BE A JERK.

I offered you good advice on saving money. You did not say YOU WOULD ONLY use a USB drive, you said EVEN IF YOU used a USB drive, you insinuated that you thought you could just share files via a TC hard drive. You clearly do not know what a TC is, how to partition a hard drive or how to connect NAS like devices to a TC. All of which you can learn by researching. But hey, it is easier to ask then do the work yourself, I get it.

5. johnsmith153 thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course, adding "not to be a jerk" infront of a post means you can be a jerk and not get accused of it. I bet you often say to people things like, "I don't mean to be rude but..." and I bet they just think you're and idiot (but never say anything to your face).

The answer to question 2 is YES, so god knows why you needed to complicate things. Of course you either need to use a USB Hard Drive or you need to partition the Time Capsule, but why couldn't you just say that?

In fact, if you look at the first three questions, the answer is YES to all of them. I just wanted a bit more clarification, proving I had researched but wanted a bit more advice.

In particular q3 I have spent hours trying to find the answer and still can't, yet apparently there are more than 1000 posts on this subject. ********.

**** off and only post when you can add value you sad twat.

6. tommy060289 macrumors regular

put the handbags away lady, were all here to help and get help.

John, the questions have probably been answered in some manner but incase you couldnt find exactly what you wanted, allow me to answer as much as I can.

1. Not really, your internet will be no quicker connected to your router then connecting to a TC that is attached to a router. As for transferring files, then yes it would be quicker to put files on the TC if you are wirelessly linked to it than say backing up to a HDD attached to the router by USB, if the HDD was attached to your router by ethernet then speeds would likely be similar.

2. If you plug a USB hard drive into the TC then yes you can use this as a Shared network drive that both can access (although I understand access would be slower due to the limitations of USB so depends on how much data you wish to transfer and how many computers you wish to have access to this disk simultaneously. You can also partition part of the TC I understand to use as a shared drive but that would obviously be at the expense of the back up storage space.

3. I dont know much about these features

4. No iTunes/iTV is not currently able to read from the time machine back up to use as a media server. However, again if part of the HDD was used as a shared drive through a partition then this could be used, but this would be a shared drive and thus wouldn't back up automatically.