Some basic questions on the Receipts folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mysterytramp, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

(I got no replies on the OS X forum, maybe I'll get better luck here ...)

I'm not entirely sure I grok what's going on with Receipts folder. It appears to be all (?) my installer files. I assume there here in case there's reason to re-install the software, or is there another reason?

Can I safely delete them?

If I need to save some, can I at least delete the ones for less- or non-critical apps?

Is there a reason to have Release 5, 6 and 7 of JavaForMacOSX10.4? Should I just keep the latest? (Same goes for security updates, Airport Extreme and QuickTime)

mt

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The installation receipt is a token that the installer uses to determine whether a package has already been installed on a system. If the installer, on subsequent installations of packages using the same package filename on the same volume, encounters a receipt, it processes the installation as an upgrade. It helps Software Update determine want it should display and download for you.
    Installation receipts of Apple software are also used when repairing disk permissions. The original file permissions are read from the receipt.

You won't necessarily break your mac by deleting them, but they're there for a reason :)

3. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp