Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesOK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Just installed a clean install (no upgrade) of Windows 8 via Parallels. For some reason I can't:
1) change the desktop wallpaper from the default
2)activate windows

Any ideas?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Just installed a clean install (no upgrade) of Windows 8 via Parallels. For some reason I can't:
1) change the desktop wallpaper from the default
2)activate windows

Any ideas?

The Parallels team has said that people shouldn't install Windows 8 until they work out some bugs. Specifically updates, but there could be something else too.

JamesOK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I used another key I bought that worked on my PC, it says:
Code 0xC004F061

Description:
The Software Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations.

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
I've had no serious problems with Win 8 under Parallels 8. There was an upgrade pushed out today, but my setup has been stable for two weeks. It did feel quirky compared to native Win 8, until I figured out how Parallels affects and manages Win 8.

You do need to be in full screen mode to change wallpaper. Otherwise, all you see is flat gray desktop. Also, if you have multiple Win 8 machines using the same login account, Win 8 will want to share wallpaper settings.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I just installed the Windows 8 Upgrade and it worked fine. There are instructions on the Parallels site.

The warning from them, i think, is not about parallels deleting files but about how Windows 8 upgrades based upon your current windows version.

I went from 7 ultimate to 8, and no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.