Some charger cables with with 4S...and some do not?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hakr100, Dec 16, 2011.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I haven't ripped a cable apart and I don't intend to do so, but I am wondering...

The Charger/Sync cables I got with my iPhone work fine. A pair of older cables I use with an iPod sync properly with the iPhone but I get the error message telling me I cannot charge the phone with these cables. I am wondering what the difference is between the cables that work for charging and the ones that do not.

Also, I've been looking for a decent-quality 6' sync/charger cable for my iPhone...suggestions?

Thanks...appreciate responses.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

How old is your old cable?

I'm very sorry that I don't have any info but I too would like to know where to get a GOOD QUALITY, longer cable that will sync/charge without damage to the phone.

My wife just found a cable that came with her macbook pro so now I have 3 apple cables which is good, but I would like one cable that is a tad bit longer.

3. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Only thing I can think of is that some really, really old chargers (original iPhone era and earlier) would charge on the firewire pins of the cable, not the USB pins. The iPhone 3G removed support for charging that way.

4. iipeeweex macrumors newbie

iipeeweex

Each cable holds a different voltage, its possible that the older cables dont push enough power to the iPhone?

the technology that the iPhone holds now compare to the old models is crazy.

same goes for macbooks.
    the power cable from a 13 " macbook will not charge a 15/17" macbook pro.

hope that helped you out a little