Some clarifications before jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tianh, Oct 10, 2010.

1. tianh macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a couple questions before moving on with the jailbreak.

Do I have to update to 4.1 through iTunes first before jailbreaking with limera1n? I remember reading somewhere a few months back that if you update to 4.1, you run the risk of upgrading the bootrom and never being able to jailbreak again or something like that.

Also, what if I jailbreak with limera1n BETA4 and BETA5 comes out and I want to update how would I go about doing that?

How do I save the game data of all my games both cracked and legit on my iphone4 in 4.0.1 now? Is it as simple as backing up the iphone then restoring that backup back into the iphone after restoring it on new firmware?

Also if I jailbreak with limera1n will I still be able to jailbreak with the Shatter exploit later on down the road?

Thanks for all the help guys.. :)

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If you arent on 4.1 you obviously need to update. You can use tinyumbrella (google it) to preserve baseband when upgrading.

The betas dont matter unless you have the specific problem. If you do, just restore USING TINYUMBRELLA and rejailbreak with the new beta.

Backup game saves with chronus. Backing up doesnt save game data.

3. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

could I simply update to 4.1 on itunes then? Would that save the game data of my cracked IPAs as well?

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You just lost out on any chance of being helped....I hate pirates!!

S-

5. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

I use it to try out apps before I buy. I have spent 300+ on my iTunes account. Unfortunately I don;t have the luxury of buying 5 dollar apps then using it only for a day or two.. I need to know if I really need the app.

6. neilp4453 macrumors regular

Don't worry about it. These are the same people that think it is okay to tether.

Not sure how people draw these lines..but they do it.

7. pjen macrumors newbie

Is there a way to summarize all jailbroken apps and apps that I bought via Cydia/Rock after upgrading and Jailbreaking 4.1?

After upgrading via iTunes all my jailbreaked stuff will disappear, right? And if I have about 20+ jailbroken apps,mods,themes,tweaks. How can I install them again without writing everything down on a piece of paper?

8. tianh thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you :)

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Most knowledgeable posters here won't help pirates. I won't. So you can tell him not to worry about it...but that doesn't mean he shouldn't.

S-

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Use PkgBackup. It won't save settings, but it will allow you to install all the packages you had installed previously.

I keep a text file of all the apps I have installed, why I have them installed, and settings for all the packages that have complicated setups.

S-

11. ajax43 macrumors regular

Me too! I'm glad the Pirates didn't make the MLB playoffs,:p

12. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well played sir!
    +1