Some CUDA Questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 100Years, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 100Years macrumors regular

Hi all,

I currently own a Mac Pro (2010 hex core), and am interested in starting to use some apps which make use of CUDA. I currently have a 5870 as my display card, and am thinking about adding a Quadro 4000 to use as a CUDA-only card. However, I have a few questions:

1) Is the Quadro 4000 card a good choice for CUDA apps? Would it be considerably better than getting a used GTX 285 or 8800GT?

2) Since I don't plan on using this card for display, do I still need to connect the 6-pin PCIe plug (I would go the optical bay route)?

3) As I would also be using some Windows (Bootcamp, Win 7) CUDA apps, will this dual card config work under Windows as well?

Thanks in advance...

2. jb502 macrumors member

I am wondering these exact same things. Hopefully someone will provide some good answers.

3. seek3r macrumors 6502

Yes, albeit more expensive. It will be a more reliable card though, the 285 ran hot, the 8800... had issues, just browse the boards for that one :p

very much so, you're still making use of the card's processing power, possibly more than if you were just pushing pixels depending on your workload

Yes, probably better actually, windows 7's driver arch handles different manufacturers better than Apple (especially since it's technically an "unsupported config" to begin with)

4. 100Years thread starter macrumors regular

Thank-you very much for the info --- appreciated.

5. seek3r macrumors 6502

NP, good luck! I may be going your route when I have to return the C2050 I have on loan that's sitting in the linux workstation next to my MP :D

6. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

OP,

I asked about this exact same matter about a week ago. You can scroll/click down to find it.