Some driver is using up CPU, how do I seek and destroy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Soundhound, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

On my Macbook Pro, the Activity Monitor, shows something called 'LexmarkCUPSDriver' using 99% of the CPU, and the fan is going all the time, and the laptop gets hot. When I choose that process and Quit it, all goes back to normal. But when I restart there it is again. I tried searching for it, but no dice.

Anyone know what that is (I'm guessing it's a printer driver) and how to find it and make it go away without hurting anything? Thanks!

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Yes, it is a driver for a Lexmark printer.
    I searched around for you and found someone fixing it with the following steps:

1. Remove all references to Lexmark in /Library/Printers (removed the 'Lexmark' directory).

2. Edit the 'InstalledPrinters.plist' file in same directory removing all Lexmark lines in InstalledPrinters & Manufacturers arrays.

3. Remove ALL existing drivers corresponding to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Lexmark*.gz

4.After, go to System Preferences > Printers > '+' and install the needed driver automatically with Software Update (due to the removed drivers in step 3.)

(If you no longer use a lexmark printer, you can probably just skip step 4 and not bother reinstalling a printer that you no longer need)

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't find the driver, either in the printer folder in the system folder or by using Find or Spotlight in the Finder. Weird?

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

No, perfectly normal. Spotlight does not normally show you things that are "under the hood", like printer drivers. That would just confuse people and get them deleting things that they should not touch.

If you are sure that you are not using any Lexmark printers, then you could delete the /Library/Printers/Lexmark folder and then restart. But generally I would try other things first.