Some dumb questions from a newbie...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Tsar, Dec 10, 2007.

1. The Tsar macrumors newbie

Ok...I haven't had my Mac that long, and am still getting used to certain programs...I recently upgraded to iPhoto '08, and have what is likely a stupid question:

Once I import my pictures into iPhoto, they are copied into iPhoto's library, correct? That means that I can then delete the original photos? I have a lot of music files, and don't have much free space, so I don't want to have duplicate copies of photos everywhere.

If I am correct, and the pictures are copied/duplicated, where does iPhoto store them?

Also...I see that I can change the dates on photos in '08....however, it doesn't let me change the year...how can I change the year?

Many thanks in advance from a newb.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

The photos are stored inside the iPhoto Library package in your Pictures folder. So, once they are copied you can feel free to delete the source.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Same applies to iPhoto that applies to iTunes, you can tell it to copy to the iPhoto library allowing you to delete the original.

They are copied to Pictures --> iPhoto Library.

If you want to access the photos, right-click on the iPhoto Library icon and click "Show Package Contents" and they are located in Originals.

4. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

iPhotos are stored in user>pictures>iphoto library. If you click on this with leopard and iphoto 08 it opens iPhoto. When I had Panther and an older version of iLife, this was simply a folder that was subdivided into years, then months, then days. So this is where the photos are stored, but I haven't opened the contents of it to see if the system is the same.

If you are importing to iPhoto, the files are stored in that system. There isn't really a need to go get them from there, as that is what iphoto is for. So if a picture is on your desktop and you drag it into iPhoto, you should be able to delete the picture off of the desktop.

I don't know about changing the year.

5. The Tsar thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks for the replies, guys...

Now, if anyone can clear up for me how to change the year, this long project will finally be over!

I have pictures that I scanned a while back, and they show up as "2006" instead of the proper "1990." I'd like to be able to change the year so that I can sort a particular folder in date format.

6. godrifle macrumors regular

godrifle

1. Select the photo or photos to change;
    2. Select the "Photos" menu, and choose "Adjust Date and Time".
    3. Check the "Modify Original Files" if you want the EXIF data in the actual file to be changed. Otherwise, only the iPhoto database will reflect the changed date.

7. The Tsar thread starter macrumors newbie

When i do this, I can change the day and month, but there seems to be no option for a year, unless I am missing something...?