Some examples?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arkanok, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Hey everyone, don't flame me for asking this but I need to know what some useful examples of cut and paste on the iPhone are. I mean, I haven't really needed to copy anything from lets say notes to my email or anything, and there's no word processing app on this like word, so I'm curious, what are some of the good uses for it?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I would have said copying text from one message to another but we have text forwarding now so I'm clueless right along with ya.

3. iPhone envy macrumors member

Copying:

Grabbing a link to paste into an email
    Copying text from a website to paste into an email
    Copying text from one email to paste into another.
    Grabbing text from docs you have saved on your phone and...yep... pasting it into an email.
    Copy and send directions
    Etc etc

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Exactly. I've never had to take something from one email to another cause, if i need to send it to someone else, I just forward the email to another person...

Anybody else wanna chime in?

5. mingus51 macrumors member

I sync my iPhone with my work email through Outlook and the one thing it does not do is if I get a meeting request with a call in number...there is no link to just push the number and be taken to the phone. In June, I can copy the number and paste it.

The same applies for directions outside of email. For example, I'm on safari and there is an address for a restaurant I want to go to on the website, I can now copy paste that into maps and get directions.

If I type a long email and want to re-order the paragraphs or bullet points...copy paste prevents me from retyping

Lastly, sometimes I really just don't want to retype with my big fingers an important quote or piece of information from a text to email or email to email....now I can be lazier with my typing.

And maybe not for all, but I use copy/paste religiously in web browsing since there is not command click on links in safari to open an new tab...with the archaic way safari in the iPhone handles multiple pages, copy past allows me to not have to continually go back and forth between two pages.

6. aok1975 macrumors 6502

The same as the use on your computer, or dont you use it on your computer?

7. aok1975 macrumors 6502

oh, you dont have to use. I cant afford a lambogini, so they shouldnt make them. That is what you sound like.

8. mingus51 macrumors member

Yup.

Essentially, the iphone keyboard is crap for typing on so any chance that I can save that motion by copying text I've already labored over typing or have found already typed out for me (especially zip codes or alpha-numeric phrases) is a lifesaver and something very expected in the smartphone arena. And Apple likes to say the iphone is not a smart phone but rather a computer...well

I do a lot of business on the iPhone as I travel a lot...If I was just using for games and texting friends...this wouldn't matter as much

9. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

LOL yeah, but there are more apps and such to use copy and paste for. I don't write out large documents on my iPhone because you can't. That's what I use my computer for. All I was saying is that I don't see much reason yet because I personally do not do anything business related on my iPhone.

10. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Understand my first post, I didn't say I won't use it. I was simply asking for others to give me some specific uses for it so that when it comes out, I'll be able to have a better understanding on how I can and should use it, that's all. I wasn't saying that we don't need copy and paste as I'm sure lots of people have found reasons for it, hence the reason I was asking in the first place, so that I could know what you know, that's all.

11. aok1975 macrumors 6502

look at it like this...its a standard for smartphones.

12. aok1975 macrumors 6502

I get you. Honestly when you do need it, you will know.

13. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Hopefully if it is possible, Copy and paste can be used on instant messaging apps. If so this will prove useful! You can copy and paste segments of conversations to an other one.