Some feedback on a site I'm making?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mark!, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Hey guys,

I am in my senior year of college and currently making an online portfolio! I am majoring in something called Informatics (basically Computer Science, but more design-y) with a minor in Communication and Culture. My desired career path is an HCI Designer, UX Designer, or (less so) a Graphic Designer.

I wanted some feedback on what I have so far, which right now is just a simple site. The left is all navigation, and the right side where it says "under construction" is where all of my digital and print work will be. My work/content will show downsized previews that are sort of mosaically tiled.

What do you guys think? Is it unprofessional? Is it too simple? Let me know your uninhibited thoughts :D

http://iledan.me/

PS. try clicking the ILEDAN logo and the color palette underneath the social media icons :)

2. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

It's certainly very minimalist. The navigation is kind of small. Maybe it just seems that way due to a lack of any content yet.

Your hidden logo/colour changes are cool, and work on the iPad, but I don't understand the point. Do you have to click on the logo (again I'm on my iPad) to see the colour change? If so, doesn't that contradict common website design practice where the logo returns the user to the home page?

Also, clicking the "Work" link changes the placement of the other links.

Those are my comments and complaints. Not half bad, but has ways to go in terms of UX.

3. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

As for the navigation being small, are you speaking of the font size? Are you suggesting that I space the links enough for the collapsable link to not interfere with the links below moving?

As for the logo changing rather than sending the user to the home page, that is why I provided a "Home" link. Now that you say that I guess it is best to just go with standard practices and remove the "Home" and make the logo return to the home page.

The logo and color palette changing is just for novelty (or "easter eggs", and I don't think the user would have known had I not told them.

I appreciate your feedback! I knew I was deviating from standard design practices so I wanted to get feedback from non-biased people :)

4. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Looks nice enough on an iPad or macbook, but on a 27" iMac screen, it looks like a dot in the corner - but personally on a small screen I like it!

5. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

I didn't even think of that! This is only the second day I've been working on it, so I will work on making it dynamic based on screen resolution.

6. 960design, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

960design macrumors 68020

You're on your way! That's a heck of a start! Way better than my first web page.

Looks like you are already working on the 'little' webpage that's seen on our 27" monitors. The css could be place into its own file. The hover transition could be done with plain old HTML5 transitions instead of javascript ( though there is nothing wrong with using js for it ). What you are doing is loading two images when no images are needed. For your webpage this means nothing, but when you start developing HUGE sites, those doubled images will put a serious load on a busy site, not to mention your images don't scale very well. Again plain old HTML5 and some CSS is all you need for all of that. Analytics are normally at the bottom of the screen. What's the point of getting an analytics hit for a half loaded page?

Haha, I could go on, but that should get you started in the right direction. Very good job by the way. I only mean the above to be some recommendations. Please google standards and create your own. Always listen to another's advice, but don't take it to heart. Read and study and come up with your own solutions. Web development, after all, is a very new field; we are all really just amateurs.

7. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

It's difficult to give a full review without seeing a sample page with content on the right-hand side of the page. I do think it is a very good start though.

Some recommendations and thoughts:

Since your interest is mostly in UX and HCI Design, I would only list that - "HCI & UX Design" or "HCI Design & UX Design". You are an artist, but people can see that from looking at your work and if graphic design is not what you want to focus on, you don't need to list it.

The text is all caps in your logo, but all lowercase in the title of your page. I would recommend using the same for both (capitalizing the title of the page).

I like that if you click on the color palette under the social icons it changes color. It might be interesting if it did something additional as well.

Making the design responsive so that it will scale and adjust according the users screen size. As others have mentioned, when looked at on a HD monitor such as a 27" or 30" it does look quite small.

The navigation is minimalist and working very well.

I'm curious as to why you chose those specific colors for your color palette. Is there any reasoning behind it?

I like your favicon a lot. Great job on that.

The clarity if the text in your logo could be improved. I would check your settings when you're exporting the graphic. It seems as if it could be sharper than it is. I know that I'm being picky here, but the same goes for the social icons. Some of the edges look like they could be crisper.

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the site come together.

8. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

I agree with both of you that I need to work on the site being more dynamic with different screen resolutions. I have never done that before so it's something I have planned over the next few weeks (this is only my fourth day making this site).

For now I plan on getting rid of the hover transition on the logo because when a user clicks on the logo, the page reloads and their mouse is still on the logo which makes the animation play again when they don't mean to click it. Instead, I will have different (non-animated) color palettes for each link/page (work, resume, about). I'm going to use javascript to load content into a div to the right of the navigation div. I also want the collapsable work link to be a smooth transition but I haven't worked on that yet.

As for the logo, it looks better when it is larger but it looks bad when it is that small. Even on a 13" screen the navigation and site is small so I think I'm going to up the size of that.

Is there a reason why CSS should be a separate sheet from HTML?

I chose this color palette to be reminiscent of a TV test card.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I agree with everything you said and I'll be making those changes over the next few days :)

9. 960design macrumors 68020

It's what the pros do for many reasons: here's a couple
    1) Caching = speed and saved bandwidth
    2) Allows styling to be used across many pages, providing a common experience

Think of your site with the css in the header. Now think two years from now when you have about 20 pages, each with their own css. Now you want to change the background of the content to include a subtle shadow. Would you rather add that into one css file and have it propagate across your site or would you rather change the css in the header of 20 pages?

When you start doing big sites ( 200+ pages ) having the styling in a separate and easy to update file is a HUGE time saver.

10. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

This site is going to have a left (navigation) div and a right div (content). I'm going to use javascript to load the content into the right div so having the css separate didn't come across my mind. I'll just separate it anyway!

11. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Nice idea there. I like it. I must admit I haven't seen one before. I've seen one for photography, but not tv.

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I think if that's the case, maybe for your instagram/facebook/linkedin buttons it should show those pages within your webpage. Not sure what that's called. Inline view? It will keep the person on your homepage, but still be able to navigate your FB page....or you can have it open in a new window or new tab.

13. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

As it is right now when they are clicked they open to a new page/tab when they're clicked. I don't know that I want separate site content to load on the same site, I'll have to ask my HCI mentor and other students

[​IMG]

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Oh I see, I thought it closed your homepage when I clicked on it. I check again and you are right. I must have accidentally closed it.

15. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

So my site is pretty much finished, I'm still loading content and the Resume page isn't actually my resume, just placeholding text. Now that it is more finished I'd love to get more feedback!

http://iledan.me/

Here are some things I need to do:
    • Finish resume page
    • Finish loading content onto portfolio page
    • Maybe rearrange the navigation links?
    • Test on different sized screens (I'm on a 13")
    • Maybe make all the content in the portfolio the same size (square), with just a preview and then you click through to a fullsize image with context/description

16. Dambuster43 macrumors member

The review you dont want. The page opened..first impression....its disjointed and says nothing. You use images to grab the eye...and they do to the distraction of anything else. The picture don't tell me anything. With nothing to hold me.....I left. Its not really serving any purpose telling us what you plan..but in the meantime look at what I have not done?
    Ask for a review when you have site ready for beta testing and a navigation system that works. Sorry its not what you want to hear....But it is how I see it.

17. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

I am not looking for what I want to hear I want the honest feedback instead of people just patting me on the back. That being said...

Why is it disjointed? Is it because of the mosaic tiling of the images? Should different content be on the homepage?

What is wrong with the navigation? I know it is a bit wonky but I am trying to keep the Isotope jquery I'm using.

18. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I would say increase your base font-size. 11px is very, very small.

Also, this is just an aside, but if you're interested making your text more easily maintainable, you may wish to try sizing fonts using EMs or REMs.

19. Dambuster43 macrumors member

I replied to your request with my views.
    To me if you have to use tiles...balance colour and contrast to make the overall image attractive...to me when the page opened...it looked "disjointed".
    If you know the navigation is wonky... then you have to expect comments about it.
    You will agree I did not pat you on the back and gave you my opinion of what I thought about what I saw.
    Your home page content should inform visitors what you do and how what you do ..can do for them. In an attractive easy to view display.
    Look at the of some of the individuals and studios you intend to compete with....and then consider if your web page would put you in front of the competition.

20. NumeroTen macrumors member

NumeroTen

You need to take up more of the room, in my screen it only takes up the top right half, and leaves a lot of open canvas space. The website just feels empty, try making the site auto adjust to screen size and resolution. I like a lot of white, just not too much white. Find the balance between the "Free canvas look" and the "empty space look."

21. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Great first site. You might want to center the content container on the page though. Just a thought.

22. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

I may do that, I need to look at this site on different screens.

Making it dynamic is definitely on my list. I've struggled to make it feel less "empty". I'm working on a 13" screen so I kind of am in my own little world. I'll work on that.

23. trenthanover macrumors newbie

Personally looks good enough for a small screen but on a big screen, it doesn't look very good.

24. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Hello fellow IU SOIC student! The site looks great!

25. mark! thread starter macrumors 65816

mark!

That's the consensus from everyone I've asked. Like I said I definitely need to make it dynamic and work on it as far as a big screen! Thanks for the feedback.