Some files delete form download pop up in safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcdavies, Jan 24, 2011.

1. jcdavies macrumors member

So i have a question

When i download a file in safari the download window pops up and shows the file downloading which i find very useful. However sometimes the download file then disappears once it has downloaded and other times it does not.

Why is this and how can i stop it?

I have been in to my preferences and my REMOVE DOWNLOAD LIST ITEMS is set to manually.

THanks for your help i appreciate it

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think you're going to have to be more specific about what you're calling "the downloads window". If it's the rectangular window with the progress bar you're referring to, I think that always disappears for me when the download is finished. Then there's the more box-like window with a green banner that lists recent downloads... I think (I usually don't download multiple items a once). That one disappears, I think depending on you. If you move your mouse or use the keyboard, it will go away. At least that's what I recall from past downloads. Now I'm curious. I guess I need a good reason to download something! :D

3. jcdavies thread starter macrumors member

Yeah im talking about that window that pops up from safari it shows the download progress. Sometimes the download disappears sometimes it stays, on my work computer it always stays.

Hope this helps

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, that setting controls how the other download window behaves, not the one showing the progress bar.

I think the difference you're seeing might be that some downloads progress to installation, and some don't.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

What is this other download window? There is only one in Safari.

6. jcdavies thread starter macrumors member

thats the thing these programs are not ones that install :(

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I sometimes see the Downloads listed in another window with a green banner. There is not a progress bar in that window. I'm not sure what triggers it opening up, maybe it's something I do. As before when I posted, I'm not at my Mac.

I did download an update last night, and the progress bar window disappeared when the installation began. Sorry it isn't that simple for you. I'm not sure what is going on there.