Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
For some files on my BRAND new 2012 iMac, I see the file name, but just white space where the icon should be. This happens mostly with iso/dmg files, but some others also ...

Any info would be helpful; thanks!

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Relaunch Finder

Alas, I am not the one to explain why this happens, though I can add that it is not unusual and AFAIK, it causes no harm.

The remedy is to hold down the Option & Control keys while clicking on the Finder in the dock. A window will then appear allowing you to Relaunch the Finder. Do that. This almost always works, though you may need to do it twice.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Sometimes I get something similar with my hard drives. The Finder side bar shows the drive's custom icon, but it appears on the desktop as the bare drive icon. Simply clicking and dragging the icon around even by one or two pixels causes the icon to reload.

I don't remember if I've had that specific issue with regular files, but it might be worth a try. It'd be easier than reloading the Finder entirely. I'm not sure why it happens, either; I've repaired permissions many times before, so that's not the issue (for me, at least).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.