Some Files not Appearing on External Drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 53kyle, Jun 30, 2014.

1. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I have windows 8.1 on my bootcamp partition, and my external HD is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Are there any compatibility issues with that format and windows? The drive appears on windows explorer, and MOST files are there, but some of them are simply not there. When I am on OS X I can see them just fine, but windows refuses to show them. What am I doing wrong? Oh, and I do have the bootcamp drivers installed, so that isn't an issue.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Ah Window natively can't see/write HFS+ Mac Extended formatted drives. IMHO you need the Windows shareware MacDrive.

3. 53kyle thread starter macrumors 65816

53kyle

Are you sure? I can see the drives and I can read and write to them because of bootcamp drivers.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I dought that. You might be able to see the OS Extended formatted drives from Windows even with just with Boot Camp drivers! So unless you can post a screenshot from within Boot Camp before I believe you.

Just like from OS X can see NTFS drives but not write to them without third party drivers like Tuxera or Paragon.

You can thank Microsoft for not officially linking to anyone how to read/write the NTFS formatted drives. Talk about proprietary!

5. 53kyle, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

53kyle thread starter macrumors 65816

53kyle

"BOOCAMP" is obviously my bootcamp partition, "AppleJuice HD" is what I called my mac partition (Macintosh HD is so boring!). On my external HD, "Storage 1" is my time machine back up partition, "Storage 2" is the partition which I am having problems with. WININSTALL is my flash drive with the windows 8.1 installer and bootcamp drivers. So it turns out that I can't actually write to the partition from windows, only read.

I have uploaded a picture of what the partition looks like from windows, and also what it looks like in OS X.

Attached Files:

6. satcomer, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then again go with Windows shareware MacDrive. I have used this software for my 7 Boot Camp to see my Mac OS Extended media drive and have had almost no problems. It just Windows doesn't seem to like the .DSStore files OS X Finder uses (I fix that with the OS freeware/donationware TinkerTool to stop DSStore files on Windows shares).