Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Heya, having a hard time finding some answers, so I figure I'll just throw it in a new thread. Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere.

- I host a few parties, and would love an "easy" way to play music in multiple rooms. Ideally, I'd prefer to use my iPad's Pandora as the initial source since it doesn't ask if I'm still there all the time. But from what I can tell, iOS doesn't support multiple AirPlay outputs? Is there a jailbreak solution to that? Or is it just the way it is and nothing can be done in regards to iOS and multiple AirPlay outputs?

- Backup plan is AirFoil and PandoraOne (I think PandoraOne doesn't stop?), which would theoretically let me output to multiple devices. Is this correct? Has anyone used AirFoil?

- One of the output devices would be an AppleTV, which I don't have any experience with. Can an AppleTV receive AirPlay audio and still do other stuff at the same time, mainly a photo slideshow or even a visualizer? I'd rather not have my plasma sitting on a static frame while playing music if at all possible.

Thanks in advance. :D

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Heya, having a hard time finding some answers, so I figure I'll just throw it in a new thread. Apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere.

- I host a few parties, and would love an "easy" way to play music in multiple rooms. Ideally, I'd prefer to use my iPad's Pandora as the initial source since it doesn't ask if I'm still there all the time. But from what I can tell, iOS doesn't support multiple AirPlay outputs? Is there a jailbreak solution to that? Or is it just the way it is and nothing can be done in regards to iOS and multiple AirPlay outputs? why not use the itunes radio stations, theres suprisingly allot of good ones....this should allow streams to multiple rooms

- Backup plan is AirFoil and PandoraOne (I think PandoraOne doesn't stop?), which would theoretically let me output to multiple devices. Is this correct? Has anyone used AirFoil? never used airfoil, but thats my understanding of the way airspeaker works

- One of the output devices would be an AppleTV, which I don't have any experience with. Can an AppleTV receive AirPlay audio and still do other stuff at the same time, mainly a photo slideshow or even a visualizer? I'd rather not have my plasma sitting on a static frame while playing music if at all possible. it goes to a screen saver, and I think you can point it to your iphoto library, or it will just show the ones that are with the ATV2

answers in red.....hope this helped.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
- I host a few parties, and would love an "easy" way to play music in multiple rooms. Ideally, I'd prefer to use my iPad's Pandora as the initial source since it doesn't ask if I'm still there all the time. But from what I can tell, iOS doesn't support multiple AirPlay outputs? Is there a jailbreak solution to that? Or is it just the way it is and nothing can be done in regards to iOS and multiple AirPlay outputs?

You can Airplay from a computer with iTunes on to multiple Airplay devices at the same time, and it works really well. You just can't stream from an iOS device to multiple sources - maybe something to do with the processing power needed to achieve it.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Keep in mind that only the web player or Pandora player app on your computer stream at 196 kbps--all other Pandora apps stream at 128.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I use my iPad to stream to multiple outputs....must admit its accessing the iTunes library on a computer, but I've output audio to 5 different sets of speakers (one was a atv hooked to the lounge sound system), and I've done the same for video to 2 atvs.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I use my iPad to stream to multiple outputs....must admit its accessing the iTunes library on a computer, but I've output audio to 5 different sets of speakers (one was a atv hooked to the lounge sound system), and I've done the same for video to 2 atvs.

Indeed, you can use the remote app on an iPad iPhone to play to multiple sources from a computer. But you can't play directly from the device's iPod app to them...Or I suspect from the app version of pandora.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

- Backup plan is AirFoil and PandoraOne (I think PandoraOne doesn't stop?), which would theoretically let me output to multiple devices. Is this correct? Has anyone used AirFoil?

- One of the output devices would be an AppleTV, which I don't have any experience with. Can an AppleTV receive AirPlay audio and still do other stuff at the same time, mainly a photo slideshow or even a visualizer? I'd rather not have my plasma sitting on a static frame while playing music if at all possible.

You can play photo slideshows and various screensavers when playing music on the ATV. Also, there is no static frame when playing music anyway. The album art and timeline appear on the the screen and they rotate back and forth to keep from being static.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for the answers guys. :)

So it basically looks like AirFoil is the only option for Pandora, but no one has any real experience with it.

iTunes (including radio stations) can go to multiple sources out of the box.

ATV has a "photo slide show" screensaver.

I think I'll have some toys to buy soon ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.