Some general Leopard questions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by duncyboy, Mar 31, 2008.

1. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Hello, all. Wonder if you'd be kind enough to help a switcher on his first day?

1) Quicklook. Was using it earlier to listen to an album I'd got and sift through to see which tracks I want to keep and which I don't BUT- is there anyway to let Quicklook keep playing an mp3 (or any other media for that matter) even when it's not on top? Playback stops when I go to another program- any way around this?

2) I got the pre-installed free trial of Office but don't want it- have downloaded Neo Office instead. To uninstall MS Office I just dragged the whole folder from the Applications file to the Trash- is that all I have to do?

3) I've got the entry level iMac and love it :)
    But it is a little "Choppy" now and then- especially iPhoto. I plan on upgrading the RAM ASAP, but apart from reboots and Repairing Permissions, are there any other things I can do to speed things up?

4) Movie files. I know there's Flip4Mac and Perian for Quicktime but I've always been fond of VLC. Anyway of getting it to show thumbnails and work in Quicklook? Or is Quicktime a better option?

5) I can't get certain H264 files to work in Quicktime (audio, but no video)- they play fine in VLC- is Quicktime a bit fussy then?

6) My shared folder on my HTPC over a wired network takes an age to arrive on Finder- anyway of speeding up it's discovery?

That's all for now, I think! God I love this machine!!! :apple:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

5. QT by default can't play alot of videos, if you want to use it, then you probably want to install some decoders like perian.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No.

Well, and empty the Trash, yes.

Not really, no.

Because Quicklook relies on OS X's frameworks (like QuickTime), you'll need plugins for it to see thumbnails/have QL work.

Do you have Perian and Flip4Mac installed? QuickTime doesn't natively support all of H.264's profiles.

Not really. Does it have a ton of files? Or does it just take a while to appear in the Shared column? If it's the latter, you can set up a saved entry in "Connect to Server" (Cmd+K in Finder) if you know its network path.