some good cans for the touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by otispunkmeyer, Mar 23, 2008.

1. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

im thinking about getting a touch, i dont usually listen to music everywhere i go, but its not because im just not that type of person i think its because i am actually getting sick of in-ear headphones.

i used to have those little sony ones that go right in your ear and now i have some shure e2c's. but i have to say after about an hour they are the single most uncomfortable things i have ever worn, the only reason to wear them is because they sound so great.

im after some proper, headphones, with the headband and everything.

i am tempted by these Grado SR-60's

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/246

not sure what type they are, i think they are open? coz they sit on your ears rather than enclose. will these work with the touch? i know the iphone has that daft recessed headphone jack that limits your choices.

what other good headphones are there like that? and will they work with the touch?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fortunately the iPod Touch doesn't have a recessed headphone jack :).

3. delude macrumors 6502

I use these Sony headphones for my Electric Drums, which sound great!
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344046/Trail/searchtext>SONY+HEADPHONE.htm

You'll probably look at the price and think...CRAP! But they sound great to me and the others that use them! I tried several pairs, and surprisingly these were the best! (I'm not really an audiophile so it may just be me thinking they're good, but the frequency range is listed so you can probably tell more information that I can. And that's another thing, the frequency range on these headphones was far greater than the others that I tried.)

4. TheRogue macrumors newbie

Im using these
    Skullcandy Hesh

Which sound great, im hearing stuff I never knew was in my music!

5. antmo macrumors member

grados are a good choice for the touch...

if you're serious about wanting decent sound from a portable device, there are a lot of choices you can make which affect it...

i would suggest spending a couple weeks reading threads over on head-fi.org

i've been into the headphone/audio hobby for a number of years now, spent lots of money trying all sorts of equipment/combos, spent lots and lots of time researching and discussing this stuff...

that said, as silly as it might sound, grab a pair of koss ksc-75 earclip headphones and try them out... imho (and many others') they are one of the best price/performance headphone's available (they're only $20 here in the u.s.)

also, look at hydrogenaudio for detailed info about encoding/ripping/etc

mjb

6. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I have the Grado sr-80 for my touch and i love it.

7. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

I would skip all those and just go for tried and true Bose headphones:D. They have a few different options... On-Ear, Around-Ear, or In-Ear. The In-Ear ones aren't like what you'd expect, they sit in the bowl of your ear with just a piece of soft silicon the rests up against your ear canal. I have never tried them before, but I am seriously considering getting them. BTW the prices are a bit cheaper if you get them from Best Buy or somewhere like that.

8. antmo macrumors member

yeah, i second the sr80's...if you're going to get the sr60, spend a little more and get the sr80's (both have the 1/8" jack, starting with the sr125 and up, you have to use an adapter)

however, i understand grado's are hard to come by at a decent price in the uk...look into the allesandro ms1's (basically an sr80). allesandro's are basically grado's, just done by the brother of the owner of grado... and reported to be much more reasonably priced in the uk... they look almost identical and have much the same flavor of sound... some prefer them to grado

mjb

9. chemwz macrumors newbie

Get Bose QC2

Get the Bose QC2's! They are amazing, feel great, and have incredible sound quality. Also, the head strap is very cushioned and it feels really nice. They often come with a very nice carrying case where you can store your headphones along with your iPod Touch. I use them with my iPod Touch and they work impeccably.

10. DCSMAC macrumors member

the bose on-ear headphones produce far and away the best sound iv ever heard. theyre expensive are $179, but they are truly the best. just look at the reviews on apple.com. every single one is glowing.

11. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

Ya I know. I have never owned anything Bose because I've never had enough cash, but it produces the best sound by far compared to anything else. I've heard the Bose SoundDock in Best Buy before, and even it sounds way better than my Sony 5.1 home theatre system. The sound is just so clean, and all the lows and highs are so defined instead of being all mushed together like everything else. When it comes to sound, nothing beats Bose(unless you want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on custom built speakers:))

12. otispunkmeyer thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, i personally dont rate bose.

i mean they dont make terrible stuff, but what they do make, they charge way too much for. you can get similar or better sound for a lot less.

my dad has the bose sound dock thingy for his ipod. you know it really isnt too bad, you need to crank it to bring the mids out but it is easily capable of filling a good size room with enough volume that you'd have to speak a little louder to be heard.

however, that thing cost him £300 or so.

for £100 i got the JBL radial..... with its small 2.1 kinda set up. (theres a small sub in the base and some stereo mids/tweeters around the ring) and side by side it easily wins in the quality stakes. volume is a bout level, its base is more punchy thanks to the small sub and the highs/mids are really clear at all volumes and never distort.

he also has those quiet comfort sound cancelling head phones... i do admit, they are quite brilliant at what they do. there arent many passive methods that come close without being heavy or uncomfortable.

but yeah, id still shop else where before going to bose for audio equipment. theres so many "unheard of" (though not unheard of in audio enthusiast) circles that can give you more for the same money.

Acoustic Energy's Aego M 2.1 speaker system is a prime example. £100 it comprises a large sub and two mid/high drivers. the drivers feel like they were crafted from solid lumps of metal, those things are deceptively heavy as they easily fit in the palm of the hand. they are the best 2.1's i ever heard.... the bose system in the same shop had absolutely nothing on them, nothing at all. it wasnt constructed to nearly the same standard, the satalites were just housed in plastic and the sub was dwarfed by the Aego's. and they wanted a lot more than 100 for it. it did have a nice volume controller though, it was well designed.

still not tried their in-ear headphones, but i really dont want in-ears after my Shure E2C's (these are ****ing awesome once broken in, at first i was like wheres the bass? after a while it came, and it was sooo rich!)