Some good ideas for Siri

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ideal.dreams, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Siri has been around for a year now. I still use it daily, but still, she definitely has a lot of room for improvement. Here are a couple of ideas that I think would be awesome for Apple to implement.

1. Conditional reminders.
    Ex: If it's supposed to rain tomorrow, remind me to grab my umbrella at 9AM.
    Ex: If it's going to be below 50 degrees tomorrow, remind me to start my car at 7AM.
    Ex: If I'm not home by 5PM, remind me to set the DVR to record Breaking Bad.

If the "if" part of the statement is false, then Siri won't bother you. If it's true...well, you can guess what happens :p.

2. Ask for DND when setting an alarm.
    Example:
    Me: Wake me up in an hour.
    Siri: Your alarm has been set for <time>. Would you like me to silence your calls/notifications?

Just my two cents.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Siri fist needs to get the crap outa her ears first before she can do all that. All I use it for is to set a wake up alarm. Everything else I usually just end up doing it the old fashioned (iPhone4) way.

Now that there's is turn-by-turn in maps, that's all she/it's good for.

3. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

sounds pretty good to me although the second example wouldnt help many people. I have an iphone 4 so no siri for me maybe when I get the 5 i'll think of some recommendations.

4. PantherCreek macrumors regular

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Ahhh! Why the reminder Breaking Bad won't be back for another eight months!

6. irDigital0l Guest

7. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

8. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Can I tell Siri to navigate me to my last or last but one destination in Maps? She doesn't seem to know what I want (german).

Did anyone have success with that in english?

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

The biggest thing I want Siri to be able to do is allow voice manipulation of phone settings. For example turning bluetooth and wifi on/off, etc etc

10. Zunjine macrumors 6502a

Those are some pretty useful ideas.

AI will only come close to being like a real PA when it can start to be pro-active. It's all well and good providing me with information when I ask for it, but offering information based on things like traffic conditions, the weather, details in emails, when I haven't asked is more like what a real PA would do.

So, for instance, if an email from someone I have a meeting with says he or she may be late Siri should flag this up to me even before I read the email. If I have a BBQ planned for the weekend and the weather forecast is for rain Siri should point this out. Siri should remind me to send birthday cards or to pick up my dry cleaning even if I didn't set a reminder. If Siri started to do these things we'd really be getting into virtual PA land.

11. hdalien macrumors member

The conditional reminders thing is a great idea.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

These are great ideas, and I really hope they'll be implemented soon.

13. VeryQueasy macrumors newbie

Awesome ideas! I upgraded from the 4 to the 5 and I have to say Siri is awesome I can't wait to see how they develop it. I really like your conditional reminder idea.

I also would love it if I could tell Siri to turn on/off WiFi, or rate my songs/add songs to playlists. I do have to exaggerate when I pronounce certain words to get Siri to understand me but I believe the voice recognition will develop pretty quick.

Good post!

14. ScousePete macrumors member

That's how Skynet started!

15. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Some really great ideas, here. These are the things Apple should be looking at implementing. The past 2 events they have focused so much time on how Siri can tell you sports scores now. Well, that's great. I don't follow any sports religiously so that doesn't do me much good.

16. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Exactly...while the new additions to Siri are nice, they should not have taken nearly this long to show up.