Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applehero

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
29º 25' 26"N, 95º 29' 36"W
"QUESTION:
What is the no-commitment equipment pricing option?

ANSWER:
The no-commitment pricing option is the non-discounted equipment price available to customers that are not on a prepaid or GoPhone plan. This option does not require a new two-year service commitment.

If you are not eligible for an upgrade or do not want to sign a new contract but would like to buy a new phone at the no-commitment pricing, visit Upgrade Phone (Logged In Users Only) within myWireless Account for the convenience of purchasing online.

Note: You must be registered and logged into myWireless Account to view this information. For assistance with login and registration, please choose one of the following topics:

How do I register for myWireless Account?

How do I login to myWireless Account?

What if I forgot my password for myWireless Account?"

This is straight from the ATT website. I am pretty sure there's no way they can stop you from doing the same thing with the iPhone.

I depends on the contract at&t has with the supplier. To my knowledge, this is the first time a buyer can actually purchase the equipment from the manufacturer. You cannot go directly to Motorola or Blackberry, etc...and buy your device directly, you have to go through the wireless provider. The reason for that is because of the subsidy. The wireless providers make money off of product markups. This also allows the wireless provider to offer a discounted price on the equipment based on contracts. They don't mind dropping their price of the device as they get you locked in on a monthly recurring fee. This is not the case with the iPhone, buyers can get it for the same price from either Apple or at&t, that is why the 2 year contract is mandatory. at&t has to have a way to get their money since they're not getting it from iPhone sales.

The truth will come out soon, let's just agree that nobody knows for sure.

K

kgiglio2

Original poster
I understand this, but if you are an ATT or cingular customer (same thing), it shouldn't be a problem to just take advantage of the no-commitment pricing. I am not trying to suggest that it will be unlocked, just that you SHOULD be able to buy it and then just add a data plan if you don't have one already. I can see this being the case, and then needing a new 2 year contract if you are coming from another carrier.

K

kgiglio2

Original poster
obviously att will get their money from you if you own an iPhone even if you don't get a brand new plan.... you can't use the phone on any other carrier so...

A) you add data to your existing plan and are giving them more revenue

B) you continue your old plan, with at&t, that has data and voice and is giving them revenue

C) you need a new plan so you get one and bring more revenue to at&t

Basically, if at&t sells an iPhone, with or without a plan, they are quaranteed revenue, and lots of it. Since it is not unlocked, people can't just buy it without a contract and use it somewhere else. I understand what you are saying, but in this case they will get their revenue, and in plenty of ways. Think about the newbies who don't know how much data they will use, buy a low end plan, and then they will go over and pay the rediculous amount that the extra data costs.

Apple and at&t are smart, and I think making existing customers get a brand new plan wouldn't bring in as much moolah as a no-commitment pricing plan.

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
LOL this is truly amazing to me how discussion can flourish over something that is pretty clear cut and set in stone.

iPhone: (4gb) $499 w/ 2 year contract
(8gb) $599 w/ 2 year contract

Period. This has been a fact since day 1. It's time to start getting used to it

K

kgiglio2

Original poster
it was the fact from day 1 until they day they removed it from the iPhone tv ads. Now the press releases, as someone mentioned before, don't mention anything about a 2 year contract. that was the case originally, but things have changed, and apple wouldn't omit something on accident. thats old news

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
it was the fact from day 1 until they day they removed it from the iPhone tv ads. Now the press releases, as someone mentioned before, don't mention anything about a 2 year contract. that was the case originally, but things have changed, and apple wouldn't omit something on accident. thats old news

looks like somebody just got owned....

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
Look guys, companies add things like "2 yr contract required" and the like for legal reasons. They used to never put that kind of stuff in and people would sue em for misadvertising. Nothing more. If they removed it from the commercial, that means that there is a LEGAL reason for them to remove it. Now the only legal reason they would possibly have is that there is some kind of way for users to get the phone WITHOUT a 2 year contract. It may not apply to certain users but since its not required by all they don't have to show the little subtext that they hope you never read anyway.

My guess is they finalized the way people will be able to sign up for the phone around the same time the ads started airing. Once they did that they just sent out the updated ads that removed the legal text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.