Some Griffin (White) Wave Cases Leave Scratches!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by donster28, Jul 29, 2008.

1. donster28 macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to voice my experience with this iPhone 3g case.

I bought the Wave Case from the Apple Store the same time I got my iPhone 3g. I found it to be a perfect, snug fit and it felt great in the hand. Had a bit of a hard time putting it on the phone (seemed to have scratched the surface but to my surprise, it didn't). Took it on and off everyday to clean the dust away with no scratching.

Since I thought the seems in between the parts were a little far apart than normal, I decided to exchange it with the same case.

Put the new case on and when I took it out, I noticed a few little nicks and scratches on all sides of the chrome ring. I was heartbroken. Fortunately, the back of my white iPhone 3G remained pristine with no sign of scratches upon close observation.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to tell which one is good when you purchase this otherwise great case. My suggestions:

-The Griffin Wave case is still a great case and I still use it. Buy it, buy it, buy it.
    -Before outfitting your iPhone with this case, purchase some kind of 'removable invisible tape' and apply a layer to the chrome ring of the iPhone. Cut it so it's almost the same size as the width of the chrome. Occassionally replace the tape so it doesn't leave any permanent residue.

Just my 2 centavos guys and gals. :)

2. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Agreed. My Chrome is also scratched :( It made me really sad when I saw this :(

I thought the Griffin Wave would be ultimately perfect but I suppose not :(

Still a great case though :D

3. asuandy macrumors member

asuandy

The very air itself scratches the chrome :p The iSkin I bought for my 2G put scratches in the chrome and the Belkin on my 3G has done it too. Anytime dust/dirt gets in between the chrome and the case it can happen. Its unfortunate, but inevitable. I have a pretty good swirl like scratch on my chrome from my case :(

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Honestly, and not to belittle your situations/opinions whatsoever, but I'm pretty sure you will be the only ones that care about scratches to your chrome or other parts of your iPhone. Everybody that you show it to will probably be in awe (as is my experience... btw, drool might be an issue :p). I'm pretty anal about my gadgets but I've come to accept scratches as an inevitability. I've still got a Contour Flick on mine to minimize it, but unless you keep it behind glass, it's gonna happen.

5. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

skorpien pretty much summed it all up. no matter how hard you try, your phone is ganna get scratched.

I had the wave case. It grew on me at first but with all these other cases out, I returned it and purchased a Switcheasy Rebel (hasn't arrived yet).

The wave seemed too big imo and didnt fit properly. the design is excellent imo with the overlapping pieces.

I however would not recommend this case.

6. RFR79 macrumors member

I am sorry to here about your mis fortune. I am currently using the Nu Form case from Griffin and no scratches to report. I almost purchased the wave too.

7. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update

OK, thank you all for your comments. I greatly appreciate it. :)

I agree that the innevitable will happen and the chrome ring will eventually exhibit scratches. I also admit that I am totally anal about my gadgets and I want them prestine looking as long as possible.

I am fortunate enough to acquire a replacement to my old defective iPhone and I'm still using the Wave case. But before I put it on, I did what I suggested in my original post in this thread: cover the chrome ring with removeable tape. Here's the update:

-It's almost been a week now and the chrome ring remains prestine-no scratches. I remove the Wave case everyday to check.

-The tape seem to leave some dry, sticky residue on the chrome (kinda makes the chrome look like it's been brushed-looks really cool if you ask me). The only way to remove the residue is to wipe it away with a little bit of water.

-The residue does not seem to scratch the chrome since it's not hard like dust.

-The residue dries up after a couple of days, making it even easier to remove.

-The tape can be left on for a while.

So for those who still have a prestine chrome ring and want to use the Wave case, try the above and be pleased with the results. :)