Some help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Perk, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Perk macrumors member

First off; I know there are millions of threads/posts similar, (if not equal?) to mine.

I've been wondering and wondering, around 10 months without a computer, on which computer to get after figuring to switch to Mac. So I've started to visit Mac-related forums, knowing Apple where around the corner of releasing their new laptops, and here they did.. so did my dilemma. The design, the screen, the missing Firewire port, the price.. all that I'm totally okay with. My only concern is that I don't want to be ending with a defective machine, in any sortof way. And ideas whether to buy now, or wait for a updated (less-buggy?) revision?

I don't use the computer for work, nor studies.. I only use it for personal pleasure. Some, not much, gaming. Music, movies, and internet browsing. I also like to mess around with Photoshop a lot. Which MBP model do you think best for my needs? The base-2.53Ghz w/ 250GB 5200rpm? or the CTO 2.8 w/ 350GB @ 7200rpm?

Thanks in advance, for your help.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

For your stated purposes, either MBP is serious overkill. Maybe you should try going to an Apple store or to a authorized reseller to try out the Macbook and compare it to the pro.

The screen DID matter to me, that's why I chose the pro...

3. Perk thread starter macrumors member

The 13" is too small for my liking.

4. Perk thread starter macrumors member

5. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Nobody here is going to give you a definitive answer as to whether or not your macbook pro will be perfect. You can go ahead and buy another laptop if you want, but there is no assurance that those will be defect free either.

buy a pro, get the warranty, and make sure the one you get initially is perfect. that is all you can really do.

6. nonick macrumors member

hey,
    if you need a notebook now, then just buy it. Rev. A might be more buggy than B in general but it doesn`t mean that all units are somehow affected by these bugs. check your MBP, right after unboxing, for all known issues, like screen problems, wrecks, crooked keys, dead pixels, and so on and if it`s ok (the probability is very high), then just keep it. who cares whether it's A or B.
    Rev. B doesn't mean that ALL units are perfect either.
    Regarding the model : if it's not for pro-tasks, why don`t you get the 2.4MBP and save some money?

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I think the 'base model' 2.4 MBP should be fine for what you want to do with it. Unless you're doing some serious power lifting with it, you probably won't notice a difference between that and the 2.53, despite the processor and cache bump.

You'd probably tell an equal difference getting the 2.4 and installing 4 gigs of ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive.

And, God forbid, you get a machine that's not to your liking, I'd avoid the 2.8 or any build to order. The BTO's are a PITA to exchange or repair, you'd be better off with a stock model. IMHO, of course.

8. Apple addict macrumors member

I could not have said it better

Agree 100%

Gary

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. The MBP is an excellent machine, and I'm not even sure you'd need a current model, as a refurb MBP would handle your computing needs very well (and also offer excellent value) .

Cheers and good luck