Some help for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by samrookes, Apr 18, 2011.

1. samrookes macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i'm about to take my first step into the world of Mac ownership, i'm a student and am going to buy a 27-inch, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac along with Final Cut Pro so I can edit films etc, should I wait for the new iMac update (whenever that will be) or should I just go ahead and buy now? I think I understand the benefits of Sandybridge but I really have no clue when it comes to computers so any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

Should be for sale between now and 2/3 months. I would really advice you to wait. sandybridge is a big leap forward in processor technology!

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Waiting will also bring lower refurb prices on the older models eventually.

Cheers,

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You should definitely wait and get a quad core model if you are going to run Final Cut, especially when the new one comes with much better multithreading support.

5. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

It'd probably be worth waiting for the "Back to School" promo they run every year and get a free ipod touch! :)

--rob

6. samrookes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone! Hellhammer I was considering going for the quad-core but everyone i've spoken to has said not too bother with it.

One final questions for you guys, should I stick with the 3.20GHz Intel Core i3 that comes as standard with the computer or should I upgrade to the 3.60GHz Intel Core i5? What is the difference going to be?

Thanks!

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Does that mean you are going to buy right now or wait?

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Please for your sake wait for 2 things pre-purchase: 1) The new iMacs that will be released shortly and one heckva lot more powerful than the current ones and 2) Wait for Apple to release Final Cut Pro X (Coming Soon to the Mac App Store), because there is little point buying a version of Final Cut Pro that will be out of date shortly - just wait and see what they do with the suite. Especially since Final Cut Pro X looks like it will behave rather differently to Final Cut Pro 7.

9. samrookes thread starter macrumors newbie

Badger^2 i'm going to wait, I don't need it immediatly but I want to know what it is that I want so as soon as they release the new ones I can order!

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Are you just guessing there will be a 3.2 i3 and a 3.6 i5?

No one knows.

Come back when they come out and there should be a hundred newbie posts asking nearly the same thing you are.

11. samrookes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah just kinda assumed there would be those different specs!