Some help for a newbie

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moxy1980, Jun 11, 2011.

1. moxy1980 macrumors newbie

Hey,

Very new to this whole iMac thing so go easy on me. I've just started using my wifes iMac and I'm trying to get into it. I intend to buy Apple TV as well as a wireless keyboard and mouse. I think the apple tv will be ok but the keyboard and mouse require 10.5 where as our mac has 10.4.11. Can I upgrade without changing hardware?

system is currently as follows;
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
    SMC Version: 1.20f4

2. moxy1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Dangeresque macrumors newbie

Dangeresque

Yep, you're good to go on for an update to eith Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6). If I were you, I'd throw down the money you save by upgrading to 10.6 instead of 10.5 ($100) and upgrade to 2gb or 4gb ram.

4. moxy1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the advice. I upgraded to 10.6.8. I will consider upgrading the RAM but think I may upgrade the computer next year anyway.

I am using UTorrent on my windows PC to download tv shows. However when I use the iMac it won't play as they are .avi files.

I have apple TV so would obviously like to download TV programmes in MP4. Do you know of a way I can download them and automatically cover to a format that Apple TV supports?

Alternatively is there a app available for iTunes that allows you to play .avi files?

5. Modernape macrumors regular

Install Perian and Flip4Mac, these two will allow quicktime to play everything.

6. moxy1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but that just means I will be able to watch them on the Mac, how can I watch them on Apple TV.

Plus, i can't be assed downloading a movie in 15 minutes, then waiting 2 hours to convert it to m4v or mp4, etc