Some help making a nice presentation for a family gathering

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EmptyG, May 23, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

Good morning all :)

So this weekend, we are having an 80th anniversary dinner celebration for my grandmother. I am in charge of making a nice presentation to display during the dinner (using my MacBook Pro and a projector).

My idea is to do a long slideshow set to music. I am scanning a ton of photos and have some music picked out. What I would like to do is simply that, just a slideshow set to music.

Now I like the way iPhoto displays photos (with the fade transitions and the "Ken Burns Effect"). I'd like to whole presentation to be just like that. Also, I would like to have a DVD copy for everyone to have afterwards so they can watch it at any time.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I have only had the MBP for about 2 months now, so I have never really played around with iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto too much. I know this sounds very simple, but I wanted to check with all of you for any ideas.

Thanks for any help!!! :)

2. theISHkid macrumors regular

I've never played with iphoto... but macs are very good about being able to design in iphoto or imovie then exporting to idvd. You should just be able to open up a template in idvd very simply and burn a dvd. Just play around with it a little bit.

3. Joekiss macrumors newbie

photo slideshow

Shift click to select the photos you want in in iPhoto. Click 'Slideshow'. At the bottom you can choose Ken Burns along with transition effects. Once it's done, goto File>>export to iDVD. Then in iDVD at the lower-right corner, you have themes to choose from. Select your theme, play around with the button and menu options, then when you're done goto file>>burn to dvd. It's REALLY simple.

4. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I will try it out and let ya know :)

5. 66217 Guest

If you have time you could even use iMovie. It takes maybe 1-2 days to get used to it, and it lets you put a lot of effects that make the slideshow look more professional.

And after that you can also export to iDVD, which come with some very nice themes.

And no matter how you make it, everyone would be asking you how you made that.

I made one video for my parents, and all the people that view it said that it look very professional, that it should have been very difficult for me to do that.

:D Poor guys, living with PCs and the dull MovieMaker.

6. coastertux macrumors regular

I'd highly recommend FotoMagico. It helps you make amazing photo presentations including Ken Burns-esque pan and zooms.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you want more than one song in the slideshow, iMovie is your best bet.

8. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

I picked up iMovie very quickly.

Just load all the photos you want to put into the slideshow into a folder/album in iPhoto. Then drag them into the slideshow in iMovie. As for songs, just do the same thing. You'll be set.

You can also do the Ken Burns effect from within there do.

Good Luck!

9. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

mlw - Well I have the slideshow all set up in iPhoto. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to drag it into iMovie though :(

I can drag a folder, but not the slideshow itself. The folder doesn't have all the pics I need to have in it, and the slideshow does AND has the correct order. It's a lot of photos, so it will take a lot of time to re-do in iMovie and it has to be done by tomorrow morning.

help!!! :)

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Try exporting the slideshow as a quicktime movie (full quality), then importing that into iMovie. That's probably your easiest way at this point.

11. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

gaucho - perfect! Yup that worked just fine. Unfortunately the exporting/rendering took quite a while, and I made an error in the order of the slides the first time - whoops :)

But I got that fixed, and exported like you said and yes now I am rolling.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help! My grandma is going to LOVE it :)

Happy Memorial Day!!!