Some help on iTunes mp3's... a little confused!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by R.Devaney, Mar 17, 2013.

1. R.Devaney macrumors newbie

Hi all, my iTunes is set to copy my mp3's when they are first played and this copy is then situated in the /Users/blahblah/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media folder. Because of this, I thought it would be a good idea to delete all the original mp3's that I had stored manually in the general 'Music' folder. As I deleted the originals, however, all the copies deleted too (for some reason?!) and I wasn't left with any music in either the manually deleted 'Music' folder or the 'iTunes Media folder' that kept the copies! Is there anyway around this problem as I don't see the point in keeping two copies of the same songs, so would love to somehow delete the originals and keep the copies. Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any help you might be able to offer :)

----------

Also, the reason why I am doing this is so when I click delete-->move to trash on a song in iTunes it seems to move the copied mp3 to trash and leave the original.. This wastes a lot of space with unused mp3's. I just want one copy of my mp3 file that deletes when I tell it to in iTunes.

2. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

go to itunes - preferences - advance - and uncheck (Copy files to to iTunes media folder)

this will only leave you one copy

3. R.Devaney, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

R.Devaney thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I've done that. However, the copies are still located in the Music/iTunes/iTunes Media Folder. Does this mean I should delete these manually?

----------

Plus when I click delete-->move to trash in iTunes it doesn't seem to delete the original mp3 just the copy. Is there a way round this aside from manually deleting every mp3 after each 'delete-->move to trash' action in iTunes?

I really can't work this out..