Some help please.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GluttonySama23, Apr 10, 2012.

1. GluttonySama23 macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23

I just got my Mac today from one of my co-workers and my iTunes wont update and my OS wont update also even though my computer tells me that their is an update for iTunes. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks!!

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you have the MacBook in your signature, because there was no MacBook with 2.8 GHz and a 2 GB HDD (if "HD" is what HDD actually stands for)?
    What Mac OS X and iTunes versions do you use and what versions do you want to update to?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. GluttonySama23 thread starter macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23

Sorry it is 2.16 GHz

My Os x is 10.4.11
    and when I try and update iTunes it is update to 10.6.1

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Is it a fresh install, i.e. boot from CD, erase the HDD, install.

6. simsaladimbamba

Which iTunes version do you have, as iTunes 10.6.1 needs Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard?

You could buy the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD for 29 USD and do a clean install.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

7. GluttonySama23 thread starter macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23

My version of iTunes is 9.2.0 and I may as well buy snow leopard if that makes my damn itunes work..

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Always do a clean install on a used computer.

9. GluttonySama23 thread starter macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23

The only thing I don't have is a disk for Lion or Leopard.. So I have to get a disk. Am I correct?

10. simsaladimbamba

Yes, and Lion is not sold on a disk. Just get the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD from the Apple Online Store and upgrade or not to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion via the Mac App Store (MAS).

11. GluttonySama23 thread starter macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23

What one would you prefer? I can do both but I just want to know which one is better.

12. simsaladimbamba

I still use Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, I tried Mac OS X 10.7 Lion for a week as main OS and as it got rid of proper Spaces and Exposé, I downgraded to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
    But that is just me and my needs, as I have 12 to 16 Spaces for my applications, and Mission Control is not cut out for this.

Imagine going from Spaces in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    to Mission Control in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, looking like this
    [​IMG]
    Of course, not everyone uses that many Spaces, but Mission Control seriously hampers the usefulness of more than four virtual desktops.

13. GluttonySama23 thread starter macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23

Damn. Well I believe I have to get Snow Leopard.. But I don't want to pay that much to get it from the Apple store.. And ebay has it for $39.99 but I don't want to get blow over.I just don't have $500 to throw around..

14. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard costs 29 USD, how do you arrive at 500 $?

15. GluttonySama23 thread starter macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23

AH!! lol I was looking at the Apple store and the Snow Leopard is the Ultimate Client one... HAHA I may as well just buy it on ebay and or Apple.

16. simsaladimbamba

I don't really understand, what you mean with "Ultimate Client one" (probably some server license?), but here is the proper one.

17. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I actually prefer Lion, unlike some users I prefer the layout of Lions mission control to spaces. But like others have said that just me. I also love Air Drop and use it all the time, it really makes it easy keeping all of my computers and devices on the same page. In the end it comes down to what you like. Snow Leopard is still a great OS I just prefer Lion. You'll find a hundred people with very different opinions. Just one thing to consider is that lion is a RAM hog so you should really have at least 4GB of RAM to run Lion nice and smoothly.

18. GluttonySama23, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

GluttonySama23 thread starter macrumors newbie

GluttonySama23