Some help with drive mounting solution for imac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freshe, Aug 9, 2012.

1. freshe macrumors regular

Hi,

I went to my authorised apple reseller to get some info on putting an extra ssd in my 27" imac. The guy in charge of the service section of the shop more likely a marketing guy than service engineer mummbled something about how difficult it is to put your ODD into a external enclosure "but it could be done" and so on and forth.

Anyway he said either we put it (SSD) behind your regular HDD with split cable or smth like that or we get rid of the ODD but someone will contact me regarding this upgrade. I want to keep ODD however.

Today I got an email that:

"...Unfortunately, we do not sell solid state drives, or any of the accessories which may be necessary for fitting (brackets etc.). If you were to source these parts yourself, we could fit them for you."

What brackets do I need and where will the be able to fit my drive in the imac ? And to be honest neither the apple tech support nor those guys seemed to me as their were on the top of their game. And weren't able to give me some specific answer (it was usualy - yeh bring your ssd and we'll fit it for you - but now i need the whole kit). Especially yer' man in that shop.

I could order from OWC and pay the customs for the uk/ireland. Could you suggest anything ?

I would most likely get my 1TB replaced with a 2TB and 256GB SSD thrown into as well.

Thanks

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

What year is your iMac? If it is 2011, just get a Seagate Thunderbolt adapter and install your SSD externally. I just did it last night and am incredibly impressed. I can use my iMac's 1TB drive for storage now while keeping my most used apps on the SSD.

3. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

2011, yes. I would like to have it all nice and neat inside though.

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

5. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

I am not, I'm bringing my imac to authorised reseller and they will fit it in for me. So I keep the warranty on my mac and if they mess up they have to fix it too.

Thanks for the link, it shows how to install the ssd where your ODD was previously. Is there any other way you can fit ssd inside imac ? If so do I need anything else apart from the split cable and those stickers ?

6. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I see. Well, in that case, there are a few articles floating around about just using velcro tape to attach the SSD inside the iMac. I assume the shop has all the tools, so the OWC kit may be unnecessary. I really wanted to install my SSD internally, but it ended up being cheaper to just buy the Seagate adapter, TB cable, and SSD than paying for the install. Also, if my SSD crashes, I can just plug another one in and restore from a backup instead of having to take it back to a shop to replace (where the labor may not be covered under warranty).

7. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

You need a SSD, a SATA cable and some double sided sticky pads.

Job done!

8. dany74m macrumors member

In italy, Apple authorized reseller, told me they canno install SSD without cancell the warranty... :(

9. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Point taken. I was aware of that but just ugh... would love to have it all nice and inside ;)

Talking bout the speed does it work the same way as it was intstalled inside the imac ? Do you need any external power plug or does it come through TB.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php